Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer itunes music from older iMac HD to Catalina Music

My older iMac quit long time ago so I had Apple take out the HD so I could copy anything that was needed.

I want to import from that hd to Catalina but not sure which is the right way to do it so I don't mess it up.

I can connect the old HD to my Mac.

Do I just use the import feature on Catalina?

Thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 12:56 PM

Hello harlan-lucia and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you're trying to import music files from an existing iTunes library on an external had drive into the Music app on a Mac running Catalina.

You are on the right track and will want to use the Import function under the File menu in the Music app. Just choose that option and navigate to the folder that houses the iTunes Media on the external hard drive. The path for that will generally be ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. Navigating to that folder and choosing the Open command should import everything to the proper directory location for the Music app under Catalina as well as adding that info to the .musiclibrary file.

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 12:56 PM in response to harlan-lucia

Hello harlan-lucia and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you're trying to import music files from an existing iTunes library on an external had drive into the Music app on a Mac running Catalina.

You are on the right track and will want to use the Import function under the File menu in the Music app. Just choose that option and navigate to the folder that houses the iTunes Media on the external hard drive. The path for that will generally be ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. Navigating to that folder and choosing the Open command should import everything to the proper directory location for the Music app under Catalina as well as adding that info to the .musiclibrary file.

Cheers.

transfer itunes music from older iMac HD to Catalina Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.