Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why was I charged for the gift card that I received during the Black Friday promotion?

Hi! I bought an Ipad Pro during the Black Friday promotion and I received my gift card after a couple of days. I checked with my bank and I actually paid for the gift card, which doesn't make any sense to me since Apple was supposed to give a gift card to customers that bought certain products (which I did). I called the customer service and they told me that "Apple doesn't give costumers free gift cards". Why did I have to pay for the gift card? What should I do?

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 9:29 PM

I didn't buy anything at this year's sale, but in previous years they took the price of the gift card off the qualifying device and charge full price for the gift card. It works out to be the same total as if they charged full price for the device and gave you the card free.

($device - $card) + $card = $device + 0

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2019 9:29 PM in response to QuickPost

I didn't buy anything at this year's sale, but in previous years they took the price of the gift card off the qualifying device and charge full price for the gift card. It works out to be the same total as if they charged full price for the device and gave you the card free.

($device - $card) + $card = $device + 0

Dec 30, 2019 10:26 PM in response to adrienn141

I ordered an iMac on December 2nd, 2019 through Apple.com. I was offered a $200 gift card with my purchase. I did receive a $200 gift card through e-mail to use with Apple right after my purchase. All was good until I looked at my credit card statement. They had charged me separately for the iMac, in which there was no discount, and then an extra $200 for the gift card. The gift card was supposed to be a "gift" not something I had the honor of purchasing if I made a purchase. I will be calling them. This seems to be a problem for many people. I hope they resolve it.

Why was I charged for the gift card that I received during the Black Friday promotion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.