Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

got the newest (11/30/19) xfinity modem/router. Can I use my old airport extreme and express for wifi music to wifi speakers

got the newest (11/30/19) xfinity modem/router. Can I use my old airport extreme and express for wifi music to wifi speakers

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 3:54 PM

Post a screenshot from airport utility or whatever if you run into trouble.

I find getting the express into join wireless mode is fairly difficult without using ethernet back to the computer at least.. but once configured airplay should run fine.

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 11, 2019 3:02 AM in response to Robrepp

You can continue to use your Express.. the Extreme is probably not a lot of use.

Setup the Express with ethernet from the main xfinity would be ideal.. but you can still use wireless if you like.

Without the Extreme use Client mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201621

If you have issues.. post back and we can try and sort it. Screenshots from airport utility can help.

Dec 11, 2019 2:59 PM in response to Robrepp

As long as the front LED comes on.. green initially then flashing amber it should work.

Did you reset to factory beforehand?

Hold in reset.. then power on without releasing reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10 sec.

No luck on a Mac do you have ipad or iPhone.. ?? Download and use the iOS version airport utility which tends to work better for this initial setup than later Mac version.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.