Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant delete files from desktop since update

What has changed. can't drag files to bin or right click to remove files. I have to sign in to iCloud to delete the files.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 6:51 AM

Hi brackbox,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing an issue removing files from your desktop, and I am happy to assist.

-What specifically happens when you are attempting these actions (drag and drop, or secondary click) to remove items from your desktop?

-Do you have Desktop and Documents files turned on in iCloud Drive? Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support.

I would recommend the following to get started:

-Make sure you are using the latest macOS Catalina version: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support.

-Restart your Mac and try again: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support.

If you need continued support, reply back with responses to the questions above.

Best regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 6:51 AM in response to brackbox

Hi brackbox,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing an issue removing files from your desktop, and I am happy to assist.

-What specifically happens when you are attempting these actions (drag and drop, or secondary click) to remove items from your desktop?

-Do you have Desktop and Documents files turned on in iCloud Drive? Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support.

I would recommend the following to get started:

-Make sure you are using the latest macOS Catalina version: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support.

-Restart your Mac and try again: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support.

If you need continued support, reply back with responses to the questions above.

Best regards.

Dec 10, 2019 4:53 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you. Problem seems to have been resolved by restarting the computer. The only think I can add to this is that I feel sure that I had tried this first and the most common remedy previously.

I also feel the problem presented itself after an update or by using the screenshot utility rather than the shortcut.

Thanks again.

cant delete files from desktop since update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.