Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add Yahoo email account to iPhone

I've been accessing my Yahoo mail account through the iOS Mail app for a long time. Yesterday I changed my Yahoo email password, and couldn't get the password updated in Settings. It kept saying the password was incorrect even though I know it was correct, and Yahoo notified me that I had signed into my account from iOS. So I deleted my Yahoo Mail account from my iPhone and tried to add it back again. Every time I try to do this, I can enter my email address and password, but then my iPhone goes right back to the "Add Account" screen with the list of email services on it, and my account has not been added. There is no error message. I tried selecting "Other" as the account type and entering the information manually, but I could not send or receive mail with the account that got created. I have tried restarting the phone several times but the results are the same each time I try to add my email account. I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 12.4.3. Can anyone help?

iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 12:32 PM

What makes you so sure? I can access Yahoo Mail everywhere, except on THIS DEVICE (iPhone X).

The lousy Yahoo Mail app. also works on this phone.

The only issue is the Apple Mail app. This is so frustrating. It's on a loop. It accepts my credentials (because it tells you in red if your user name or PW is wrong). It just then goes back to the Add Account page. So this is an Apple issue. Not a Yahoo issue. Or at minimum, it's both due to their connection between the two (their handshake).

Here's another thing I just tried... I tried to add my son's Yahoo mail (he's 12 and never uses it). It won't work with my son's account either. Same issue. So I know it's not a user account issue.

I also tried the solution above. Turned off wifi and used cell data only. Same issue...

Ugggghhhhhh........

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 12:32 PM in response to KiltedTim

What makes you so sure? I can access Yahoo Mail everywhere, except on THIS DEVICE (iPhone X).

The lousy Yahoo Mail app. also works on this phone.

The only issue is the Apple Mail app. This is so frustrating. It's on a loop. It accepts my credentials (because it tells you in red if your user name or PW is wrong). It just then goes back to the Add Account page. So this is an Apple issue. Not a Yahoo issue. Or at minimum, it's both due to their connection between the two (their handshake).

Here's another thing I just tried... I tried to add my son's Yahoo mail (he's 12 and never uses it). It won't work with my son's account either. Same issue. So I know it's not a user account issue.

I also tried the solution above. Turned off wifi and used cell data only. Same issue...

Ugggghhhhhh........

Dec 10, 2019 9:29 PM in response to Connie_BL

Same here. I did the exact same thing. Changed my Yahoo PW earlier today.

I can login to Yahoo mail on other non-Apple devices, browsers, etc. Different networks like work and at home. It's fine. It's just the Apple "Add Account" process isn't working. Whenever I enter my info, it does not tell me my user name or PW is wrong. It just loops back to the Apple "Add Account" screen where you choose mail providers like Yahoo, GMAIL, AOL, etc.

This leads me to think it's more of an Apple issue or link between Apple and Yahoo. I have been using iPhones for 10 years+ and I can do this stuff in my sleep. Something is definitely up. I guess I will try tomorrow. Maybe it will clear up overnight...

Dec 9, 2019 9:20 AM in response to mlsr403

Hello mlsr403, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! From your post I understand you're having some issues getting your Yahoo mail set up again on your iPhone 6. 

You've done a great job troubleshooting the issue up to this point. Have you tried using the iPhone on more than one network when you're setting up the email? If you haven't done so, that would be the next step I can provide. This will allow you to isolate the issue further. Verify that you've covered all the steps in this article: Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you've tried more than one network, and you still can't set up your email account or save your email settings, contact your email provider for additional assistance. Here's the page for Yahoo technical support: Help for Technical Support.

All the best!

Dec 9, 2019 9:55 AM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina,

I tried it several times at work and at home, as well as over a cellular connection, with the same results. I just tried it again this morning and this time it worked. So I don't know if there was some problem with Yahoo's server or Apple's server, but the problem appears to be resolved.

Dec 10, 2019 9:55 PM in response to New555

UPDATE: Another odd thing I just noticed: I also now can't login to the Yahoo Fantasy sports app. Same issue. Won't accept my user name and PW. I immediately went to my laptop and logged in just fine. I can also login on Safari on my phone. Just not Yahoo APPS or the phone's Add Mail Account section.

What is going on here??

I cleared all references to Yahoo from my phone's stored/saved credentials too.

Dec 11, 2019 3:30 AM in response to New555

This happened to me too yesterday. I changed my Yahoo password, my apple password, soft reset and hard reset. Nothing fixed it. No issues with desktop only ipad and iphone. Also, saw that Yahoo was not accpeting my ipad it kept coming up at like gecko when i looked in my yahoo security settings. So frusterating.

Dec 11, 2019 12:36 PM in response to New555

I'm sure because I've had to deal with Yahoo's pathetic servers for decades. This is strictly a Yahoo problem.

You can believe it, or not, it doesn't matter to me.

Honestly, after having every single account breached in the last few years (the count has now exceeded 5 Billion accounts compromised), I don't see why anyone in their right mind would continue using Yahoo for anything at all.

Dec 11, 2019 1:52 PM in response to New555

I am having the same issue. I changed my password about a month ago and was able to update it through the iPhone mail app with no issue. I had to change the password again 2 days ago and am able to log into my account on my iPad and MacBook, but not able to update the password through the iPhone mail app. I then deleted the account and tried to add it back in and now it looks like its going to accept the information but then it just takes me back to the add list again. Not sure what would have changed between a month ago and now to not allow this to work but I'm frustrated. I have updated my phone, restarted it, tried it on something other than my wifi, still nothing. I"m with the posted above. I've had this email for 15+ years, everything is tied to it, I'd rather be able to fix this issue without having to use to the yahoo mail app, then have to change my email address. It makes no sense as to why it all of a sudden won't update.

Dec 11, 2019 3:47 PM in response to Mddm13

No. The problem is that Yahoo has hundreds of mail servers. They quite often get out of sync with each other. You have no control over what server you happen to hit when you authenticate. Maybe you'll hit one that works, which happens most of the time, but you may hit one of the 'bad' servers, in which case it won't no matter what you do. Sometimes, trying from a different network will result in hitting a server that works. Continuing to try from the same network will repeatedly be directed to the bad one.

The Yahoo Mail app seems to always work, as does logging into Yahoo web mail from a browser. It's just mail clients that have problems. This is not limited to iOS, or Mac, it affects ALL mail clients. Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, MS Mail, you name it.

This has been a problem for years. The only solution is to wait it out. After a few days of not trying, you may be directed to one that works.

The permanent solution is to dump Yahoo mail and switch to an email provider that has a clue.

Outlook.com, gmail, iCloud, doesn't matter. Anything but Yahoo.

Oh, and this also affects all email hosted by AT&T, as they use Yahoo for mail services.

Can't add Yahoo email account to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.