Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent upgrade to Catalina

I have a 2018 MacBook Air. I have no intention of ever upgrading to Catalina as I have too many 32-bit apps and the benefits don't outweigh the loss of functionality. How can I prevent notifications about an upgrade being available, but still retain notifications for security updates to my existing OS (Mojave).

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 7:59 AM

As long as you have Mojave 10.14.6 installed, you will continue to receive Security and Safari browser updates for the next two years. Watch the System Preferences : Software Update badge count, as it will still show the Catalina upgrade available, but may also show additional updates for Mojave that can be selected independent of the Catalina upgrade.

Here are my selections on the Software Update : Advanced… panel:

The last one is important as it updates the GateKeeper and MRT security data roughly on a monthly basis.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2019 7:59 AM in response to cwa107

As long as you have Mojave 10.14.6 installed, you will continue to receive Security and Safari browser updates for the next two years. Watch the System Preferences : Software Update badge count, as it will still show the Catalina upgrade available, but may also show additional updates for Mojave that can be selected independent of the Catalina upgrade.

Here are my selections on the Software Update : Advanced… panel:

The last one is important as it updates the GateKeeper and MRT security data roughly on a monthly basis.

Dec 6, 2019 5:13 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Yep. Have been using various Macs since the switch to Intel and have many 32-bit apps that are not and likely won't ever be updated to 64-bit (they just don't need access to that kind of memory and some are no longer under development). Obviously I know how to ignore the notifications, however, I don't want to miss updates for Mojave, which I assume will continue for at least a few years, at which time I'll reconsider my options.

Prevent upgrade to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.