Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting notifications to update Mac OS but can a go above Catalina

How do I stop the notifications to update or update beyond Catalina

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 9:51 AM

I think I can help you. It is important to understand the difference between updates and upgrades. An update is when we install a newer version of the same operating system. It will be found in the System Preferences by clicking the Software Update button. If you already have the latest version installed, you will be notified that no update is available. An upgrade is when you install a newer operating system such as upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur. What you can install is dependent on the year and model Mac you have. I think that you apparently have an update available but you may not b able to upgrade any further. Upgrade links may be found in the Apple App Store. I hope this information is helpful in clearing up any confusion.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2023 9:51 AM in response to kpmeagher

I think I can help you. It is important to understand the difference between updates and upgrades. An update is when we install a newer version of the same operating system. It will be found in the System Preferences by clicking the Software Update button. If you already have the latest version installed, you will be notified that no update is available. An upgrade is when you install a newer operating system such as upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur. What you can install is dependent on the year and model Mac you have. I think that you apparently have an update available but you may not b able to upgrade any further. Upgrade links may be found in the Apple App Store. I hope this information is helpful in clearing up any confusion.

getting notifications to update Mac OS but can a go above Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.