Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 install failure

I have a MacBook Pro (Regina, 13-inch, Late 2013) running MacOS Catalina. I have recently updated my drive to Aura Pro x2 for more storage for the boot camp partition. Every time I go through the process of download windows and installing it I get the error “the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows click “OK” to restart the computer and then restart the installation.” I feel like I have tried everything, someone told me this hard drive is unable to run boot camp but I know several people who have on the same make and model as mine with no issues at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 9:25 PM

Spent an entire day on the same problem with the same Mac model. I can gladly present to you the answer:

When you see the error pop-up, "The Computer restarted unexpectedly....", please do the following;

1. press Shift + F10 keys.

2. launch "regedit".

3. find this directory, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion"

4. once you can see "setup.exe" in the right section, double-click it and modify the value to 3.

5. close the regedit.

6. reboot

Not my findings. The original post here: hhttps://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/page-68#post-26280119.

Hope it helps. I logged in here the 1st time just to help you out XD

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 9:25 PM in response to Logo96

Spent an entire day on the same problem with the same Mac model. I can gladly present to you the answer:

When you see the error pop-up, "The Computer restarted unexpectedly....", please do the following;

1. press Shift + F10 keys.

2. launch "regedit".

3. find this directory, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion"

4. once you can see "setup.exe" in the right section, double-click it and modify the value to 3.

5. close the regedit.

6. reboot

Not my findings. The original post here: hhttps://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/page-68#post-26280119.

Hope it helps. I logged in here the 1st time just to help you out XD

Windows 10 install failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.