Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Windows 10 - Macbook Pro Retina 13

The original 128GB SSD on my Macbook Pro Retina 13 (Mid-2014 and running Mojave 10.14.4) was beginning to fill up and I therefore researched the issue and eventually bought a 1TB OWC Aura Pro X2 as a replacement.  After installation, the macbook works as well as the original and, indeed, even seems to be a little faster, albeit with a slight increase in generated heat (which I am not concerned about).

With almost 900GB of space now free, I tried to install Windows 10 Pro on a separate partition (obvs!). Using Bootcamp, an ‘official’ download of windows (Oct 2018 version) from Microsoft and a Sandisk USB3 stick, the whole process seemed to go smoothly,  I used a 128GB partition and the Windows set up all seemed to be OK following a restart and ‘getting ready’ screen when the following message appeared:

‘The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install Windows, click “OK” to restart the computer and then restart the installation’

I therefore restarted the laptop (several times!) only to be greeted with the same message.

I went back to Mac OS via a reboot with the Option key (Windows 10 was there as an option but selecting it just went to a blank, black screen).  I then deleted the partition that had just been created by Bootcamp and, just in case, downloaded another copy of the Windows 10 Pro ISO file from Microsoft and used a different USB stick and started the whole Bootcamp process again with exactly the same end result.  

Can anybody say where things might be going wrong and suggest a solution please.  This is annoying me as one of the main reason why I bought the large and very expensive 1TB SSD was to install Windows and it just ain’t working. I am assured by OWC that I have the right SSD for my Macbook and, as mentioned above, everything else seems to work as it should.

Sorry for the long post but I thought it best to lay out the whole saga.  Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 7, 2019 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2019 2:16 AM

You need a USB2 Flash drive. USB3 drives will cause issues.

Third-party storage can cause issues due to lack of appropriate drivers needed for Windows. For the original storage, Apple's drivers work.

Similar questions

16 replies

May 7, 2019 5:07 AM in response to Loner T

Loner, Thanks for that - for the second attempt mentioned above, I actually used a USB2 memory stick and, as I I said, got the same result. For what it's worth, I also made another attempt a short while ago, this time using a USB2 external HDD and, yet again, got the same. As to the OWC replacement drive that I installed, I have been assured that it is wholly compatible and should not therefore present any issues for Windows 10. Also as mentioned above, it works perfectly in the Mac OS environment.

Anybody else please?

May 7, 2019 5:15 AM in response to Ayjcee

macOS and Windows are two different animals. I have seen this before. macOS works perfectly, but Windows will refuse to install.

You can test this yourself. Put the original 128GB SSD back, dedicate it to Windows fully and it should work. Use a USB2 Flash drive, instead of a USB3 Installer (HDD or Flash drive).

May 7, 2019 6:08 AM in response to Loner T

I had thought about doing something similar which involved deleting everything but Mac OS on the old 128GB SSD, leaving that in a small partition and dedicating the rest to Windows 10 - perhaps wrongly, I assumed that I would always need to leave at least the Mac OS in place. I thought of that approach on the basis that I could then do the test, simply swap it back the the new OWC drive afterwards and be back as where I was (ie. without having to bother with Time Machine and all that).

Doing that test would at least allow me to go back to OWC and say that it worked on the original Apple SSD so why doesn't it work on theirs if it's supposed to be 100% compatible.

May 8, 2019 7:45 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks again for the response. I'm actually in The UK and have therefore ordered a 512GB SSD locally - very unusually, it was actually cheaper to buy here than in The US (electronic goods in particular usually cost the same number of £ as you guys would pay US$). It should arrive Friday and, in the meantime, the old 128GB is back in service. The OWC drive is going back for a refund as it as advertised as full compatible but is not. A shame really as 1TB would have been useful but in the real world, 512GB will suffice.

May 10, 2019 3:42 AM in response to Loner T

Hi again. Just to close this one - I managed a successful installation Windows 10 on my Macbook on the second attempt and all seems to be OK. The first time failed due to an inability to download some Apple files but I just started again and all went smoothly (if rather slowly!). That said, having used either a Macbook or a Windows 7 desktop for so long, it was my first experience with Windows 10. I might change my mind after I get used to it but not over-impressed thus far. Only time will tell.

Jun 13, 2019 11:36 PM in response to tonylimsh

Hi Tony, The SSD that I successfully used was actually a pre-used 'original' Apple 512GB that I bought off eBay and which I understand was taken from another Macbook Pro. Yes, it was a lot smaller than the 1TB OWC but it works, I've now got Windows 10 installed and even with the 128GB partition, I've still got around 250GB free space. It was also a LOT less money (GB£170 compared with GB£500 for the OWC). As mentioned above, I found an entry on the OWC knowledge base which confirms that the Aura Pro X2 is not compatible with Bootcamp on my model Macbook Pro - it also specifically mentions your Macbook Air 6,2. Here it is again: https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/12/776/Aura-Pro-X2-SSDs-Boot-Camp-Compatibility and it was all that I needed to get a full refund.

Hope this helps.

Cannot install Windows 10 - Macbook Pro Retina 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.