Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferences says "this account already exists" when trying to change password in Mail.

Mail keeps asking me for the password for my email account. When I type it in, it says "This account already exists." No problem, I think. I have had this email for over 20 years so, yes, it does exist. I think there must be a problem with my email/internet company, so I changed the password with them thinking I could just change the password on Preferences since it is a new password. No deal! I have tried different things, none of which seem to work. Suggestions??

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 12:38 AM

If the email is IMAP, (or even GMAIL which is faux-IMAP), or Exchange, remove it and re-add it. You will lose nothing. and the problem may self heal

If the problem persists, odd as the advice may seem, try rebooting in Safe Mode before undertaking a detailed investigation. Safe Mode can clean up all sorts of things that get in our way.

If the problem persists there, create a new user, and add your mail account after logging in as the new user. If the problem is not present there then come back and a more detailed set of thoughts are likely forthcoming from an email expert

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 12:38 AM in response to pams5

If the email is IMAP, (or even GMAIL which is faux-IMAP), or Exchange, remove it and re-add it. You will lose nothing. and the problem may self heal

If the problem persists, odd as the advice may seem, try rebooting in Safe Mode before undertaking a detailed investigation. Safe Mode can clean up all sorts of things that get in our way.

If the problem persists there, create a new user, and add your mail account after logging in as the new user. If the problem is not present there then come back and a more detailed set of thoughts are likely forthcoming from an email expert

Preferences says "this account already exists" when trying to change password in Mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.