Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest user locked out in Catalina.

I just upgraded to Catalina on my 2012 MacBook Pro. The guest user no longer works, it is requiring a password I am sure I never set. What gives? Is this a bug? Is there a workaround?

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 10:18 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 6, 2019 10:39 AM in response to Cooper416

First boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isolate issues with your Mac) and reboot normally. Then test the guest user.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Go into the System/Users & Groups preference pane and turn off the guest user:

Reboot and turn it back on. Then test again.

Dec 6, 2019 11:20 AM in response to Cooper416

After finding no answers in the community, I decided to brave the labyrinth of Apple Support to see if they could answer my question. I decided to try the on line chat feature because in the past the other options have proved very clumsy.

I actually got a person to chat with in a few minutes. His name was Bryan. I described the problem (I upgraded to Catalina and it broke the guest account login) and he suggested the following workaround:

In Users and Groups, unlock the settings, choose the guest user and uncheck the box "Allow guests to login to this computer" and then recheck it.

I tried this and wonder of wonders it worked! This is clearly a bug.

I started another chat session so I could report success and was connected to Laura. I went thru the whole thing again so they would know the workaround worked. Kudos to Bryan and Laura.

Guest user locked out in Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.