Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not opening.

Photos is not opening fully. I have done the “Option-Command” key combination while starting Photos and the repair begins, but stops after 5% and hangs.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 11:03 AM

3 replies

Dec 6, 2019 12:31 PM in response to AppleSupport9198

How large is your Photos Library? For a large library the upgrade can take a very long time, without any visible progress for hours.

But is your Photos Library in location, where Photos can work with it?

Photos may not be able to open the library,

• if it is on a volume, that has been used for Time Machine backups
  • if the file system format is incompatible with Photos - it should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS and not case-sensitive.
  • Is the volume is remotely mounted - Photos may not be able to use the library, if it is on a network share or accessed over the network in any way
  • and there should be plenty of free storage on the volume as working storage during the conversion

Dec 7, 2019 6:37 AM in response to léonie

I started the repair again and left it for a number of hours and it managed to get to 99% repaired. However, it remained at 99% overnight. I forced Photos to quite and tried again. Now I get a "Repair Library" message box with "The library "Photos Library" has inconsistencies that must be repaired." When I click on the "Repair" button the message box disappears then reappears continually, and the repair process has halted at 5%, again.

Photos not opening.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.