Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos quit unexpectedly

Photos will not stay open for more than a few seconds, then this window pops up. I have called before and did the keystroke "repair" but that only lasted a day or so and this reappears. I have been unable to use photos on my iMac for several months. Works fine on my iPad and iPhone. Please help!

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 4:54 PM

1 - as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread). If successful try your current library again.

2 - if the test library won't stay open log into another user account on your Mac and repeat the test in #1.

3 - If #2 is unsuccessful boot into Safe Mode and try your current library from there. Reboot normally and try again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2019 4:54 PM in response to charlotte999

1 - as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread). If successful try your current library again.

2 - if the test library won't stay open log into another user account on your Mac and repeat the test in #1.

3 - If #2 is unsuccessful boot into Safe Mode and try your current library from there. Reboot normally and try again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

Aug 29, 2019 9:53 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you, Old Toad. #2 worked, logging in as another user. I also tried Safe Mode, but the problem persists. Not sure if it is related, but I also had problems with sending email on my iMac (but not phone and iPad). Customer Support had me download Malware app and that solved that problem. Could this be a malware issue? I’m not at all well versed in such things.

I much appreciate you you taking the time to reply to my question.

Photos quit unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.