Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare+ on a Refurbished 2013 MacBook Pro

I am thinking about buying a refurbished Late 2013 MacBook pro, the only thing stopping me is the anticipation of something going wrong with it next year, and then not being able to get a repair because it could be considered obsolete (not manufactured for more than 7 years).

My question is: If I do buy this thing, how long will I be able to get a repair for it?

If I bought AppleCare+ or something like that, would I be able to get service a couple of years from now, say in 2021 or 2022?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 8:13 AM

Other vendors do what they please to their used computers (and generally will not even disclose what that process includes) calls them refurbished, and can not offer AppleCare with them. Some may offer a Vendor warranty, where you return the unit to the Vendor for service.

The only refurbishment process that has a precise definition (and comes with AppleCare available) is "Apple Refurbished". So if you want the AppleCare warranty, buy from the Apple refurbished store online. These computers are in pristine condition and pass all factory tests for function and appearance.

The only restriction is that if Dead On Arrival, they must be shipped back to the refurbished center, they cannot be exchanged for new at an Apple store.

EDIT: Only recent computers that have failed to meet the strict legal definitions of "new" end up in the Apple refurbished store. 2013 models have not been seen there for many years. The oldest I see there now is a 2017 model.

Refurbished Mac - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 8:13 AM in response to WM3E

Other vendors do what they please to their used computers (and generally will not even disclose what that process includes) calls them refurbished, and can not offer AppleCare with them. Some may offer a Vendor warranty, where you return the unit to the Vendor for service.

The only refurbishment process that has a precise definition (and comes with AppleCare available) is "Apple Refurbished". So if you want the AppleCare warranty, buy from the Apple refurbished store online. These computers are in pristine condition and pass all factory tests for function and appearance.

The only restriction is that if Dead On Arrival, they must be shipped back to the refurbished center, they cannot be exchanged for new at an Apple store.

EDIT: Only recent computers that have failed to meet the strict legal definitions of "new" end up in the Apple refurbished store. 2013 models have not been seen there for many years. The oldest I see there now is a 2017 model.

Refurbished Mac - Apple

AppleCare+ on a Refurbished 2013 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.