Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I hate the butterfly keyboard, can I get a refund at this point?

It's been 1 full year that I've had my 2018 4 thunderbolt MacBook Pro with the so called "fixed/improved" butterfly keyboard with the membrane to prevent debris from entering the mechanism.

Anyhow, this is going to be my second time taking the device in to be serviced. I have not been able to for that past 5 months because school was busy but I can't deal with this anymore.

Is it possible to have Apple give me a refund or replace my unit to a new model or something since this has been so unbelievably frustrating? The resell value is no where near what I paid for the machine. I wish I kept my 2010 MBP.

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 10:06 AM

Sundos24 wrote:

Is it possible to have Apple give me a refund or replace my unit to a new model

Apple Trade In - Apple

3 replies

Dec 7, 2019 10:00 AM in response to Sundos24

We do not work for Apple--we are end users like you. That is a question that you need to ask of Apple.

Published policy is that you have 14 days from purchase when you can make an no-questions-asked exchange or return. If there is a way outside of that policy that Apple can work with you, we cannot know. All we can offer is persnal experience and what Apple have published.

Dec 7, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Sundos24

Hi Sundos24,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with the butterfly keyboard. I agree, it's not a good keyboard.

At this point I would take it back to the store and tell them that the issue with the butterfly keyboard is not solved even after a replacement.

You can then talk to a manager about seeing if you can get device replaced but be nice to them. Tell them everything and see what they can do. I've heard that it's been done before but every case is different.

In a perfect world, if this was your third time or forth time with the same issue after replacements it might be more convincing but as I said every case is different and we don't work for Apple so I have no way of knowing what they will or won't do.

I hope this helps.

I hate the butterfly keyboard, can I get a refund at this point?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.