Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari bookmark folder disappears

The bookmark folder I use most often and that I titled "Bank and Health" keeps disappearing from my "Favorites." I know how to restore it using Time Machine, but I would prefer not to have to go through that exercise every time it disappears.

I have replaced the Bookmarks.plist a dozen time, but the disappearing act keeps happening.

I would LOVE to know the solution to this.

Thank you!

Mary

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 9:00 PM

MarysMac Said:

"Safari bookmark folder disappears: The bookmark folder I use most often and that I titled "Bank and Health" keeps disappearing from my "Favorites." I know how to restore it using Time Machine, but I would prefer not to have to go through that exercise every time it disappears. I have replaced the Bookmarks.plist a dozen time, but the disappearing act keeps happening."

-------

Have you Reinstalled the MacOS Yet?:

If this is continuous, then perhaps there is a kernel corrupted, somewhere within the system files -- something particularly related to Safari.

So, rather than restore Safari from Time Machine, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be deleted; it's just that all system files would be configured to how and where they should be.

The intent is to get Safari to load as intended.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Use: Command (⌘)-R

Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac (recommended).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2019 9:00 PM in response to MarysMac

MarysMac Said:

"Safari bookmark folder disappears: The bookmark folder I use most often and that I titled "Bank and Health" keeps disappearing from my "Favorites." I know how to restore it using Time Machine, but I would prefer not to have to go through that exercise every time it disappears. I have replaced the Bookmarks.plist a dozen time, but the disappearing act keeps happening."

-------

Have you Reinstalled the MacOS Yet?:

If this is continuous, then perhaps there is a kernel corrupted, somewhere within the system files -- something particularly related to Safari.

So, rather than restore Safari from Time Machine, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be deleted; it's just that all system files would be configured to how and where they should be.

The intent is to get Safari to load as intended.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Use: Command (⌘)-R

Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac (recommended).

Dec 11, 2019 6:49 PM in response to MarysMac

MarysMac Said:

"Safari bookmark folder disappears: The bookmark folder I use most often and that I titled "Bank and Health" keeps disappearing from my "Favorites." I know how to restore it using Time Machine, but I would prefer not to have to go through that exercise every time it disappears. I have replaced the Bookmarks.plist a dozen time, but the disappearing act keeps happening. I would LOVE to know the solution to this."

-------

See if Apple has a Solution:

Perform a Screenshare with Apple:

Show the Apple Rep on the phone what you are seeing. That way they can see this from your perspective. Show this to Apple.... Troubleshoot it with them over the phone, using screenshare....

• Screenshare your Mac: While on the phone with the Apple Rep, request a prompt for a screenshare, and then share the screen with the Apple Rep. Run them through this, using your cursor.

and...

• Screenshare Using your iPhone: If need be, screenscare using the Video app of your iPhone.. Enable the Video app of your iPhone, request a prompt for a screenshare of your iPhone, and then share the iPhone's screen of Video app with the Apple Rep.

To Contact Apple, Start by using this Information:

Safari bookmark folder disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.