You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Huge discrepancy of free disk space depending on where I look (macOS Catalina)

Can someone please explain why the free disk space available is not a consistent number when I use different methods to check how much free space I have on my 1TB internal storage? I have attached a screen shot of all the different sources showing disk space usage. If I add up the GB used in my home folder plus the system files and applications, I'm only using roughly 360 GB and therefore by my calculation should have 640 GB free, so why does Disk Utility say I only have 256 GB free?

About this Mac>Storage says I have 638 GB free

Disk Utility says I have 256 GB free

Macintosh HD>Right Click>Get Info says I have 638 GB free (but that I'm somehow also using 742 GB of my 1TB which makes no sense to me)

I'm also not sure why I would have so much "purgeable" disk space (382 GB) as I do not use the Optimize Storage feature (About this Mac>Storage>Manage) and I do not have anything set to Store in iCloud from my computer, just my phone stuff on less than the 5 GB free iCloud plan. Maybe it's Time Machine backup data? But why such a large amount? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 3:33 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 8, 2019 3:58 PM in response to rallycar27

I don't think the "Storage" Report has ever been right, & worse with every new OS version.

Purgeable could be local backups...

Purging local backups

Please note that although this doesn't affect your remote backup from Time Machine, this will get rid of the redundancy (at least until the next Time Machine backup) that a local backup disk will provide. If you need such redundancy or are worried about the recovery of your data then you would be best served to let macOS determine when to purge these files.

Start Terminal from spotlight.

At the terminal type tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates.

Hit enter.

Here, you'll now see a list of all of the locally stored Time Machine backup snapshots stored on your disk.

Next you can remove the snapshots based on their date. I prefer to delete them one at at time. Once my "System" disk usage is at an acceptable level, I stop deleting but you can delete all of them if you want to reclaim all of the disk space.

Back at the terminal, type tmutil deletelocalsnapshots YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS , where will be one of the dates from your backup. This will be in the form of xxx-yy-zz-abcdef. Try to start with the oldest snapshot.

Hit enter.

Repeat for as many snapshot dates as required

http://www.thagomizer.com/blog/2018/03/27/cleaning-up-time-machine-local-snapshots.html

Dec 8, 2019 5:39 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi. Thanks for your advice! Maybe you could help with one more aspect of this... (TLDR in bold below)

I just figured out that if you add 256 GB "free" in Disk Utility and the 382 GB "purgeable" shown in Disk Utility, the total is 638 GB which is what both Disk Utility and Storage Report show is "available" and what I can consider the true amount of disk space available for me to use (because purgeable data will presumably be immediately purged behind the scenes by a higher priority transfer of some large files if necessary).

So what really has surprised me is that I have so much purgeable GB being stored on my SSD (382 GB!) and I'm wondering if all of that is Time Machine snapshots. I followed your instructions in Terminal and found only two snapshots. Is there a way to find out the file path to where those are stored on Disk, or a way to find out the size of each backup using Terminal? With that info, I could determine if that's taking up the vast majority of my purgeable space or if there's some other culprit.

Dec 8, 2019 6:06 PM in response to rallycar27

I'm not certain, but I believe APFS snapshots are not a separate copy of the files/folder, but the actual files/folders. When any of the items contained within the snapshot are modified, then only those modifications are stored "outside" of the snapshot with the unchanged portions still stored within the snapshot. The unchanged contents are not rewritten, but are still being referenced by the newly updated file. This helps to conserve space on the drive. APFS snapshots are not separate copies of your files.

Here is an article which may provide a better explanation of APFS snapshots as it includes some pictures to help understand the process:

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/09/20/the-problem-with-apfs-snapshots/

Also it may be better to "trim" an APFS snapshot as described in this article:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/reclaiming-drive-space-by-thinning-apple-file-system-snapshot-backups/

Dec 8, 2019 7:14 PM in response to HWTech

Interesting articles! Any insight on these further questions?

1) Is there a way to find out the size of these snapshots without deleting or trimming them? I don't desperately need this space to become available for something immediately and don't want to monkey with something that's currently working fine, but would love to know if they are indeed taking up the entire 382 GB of purgeable disk space.

2) Will macOS automatically delete these snapshots/purgeable data when I need it for something else? If it will, that's great and I'll just stop worrying about it! The first article was a little unclear on this, saying "But if each snapshot could rise to 1 TB, and you’ve got dozens of snapshots, they could rapidly come to occupy all the free disk space, and block the file system from functioning." So it's unclear to me how common it is for a user to find themselves in a situation where they are putting commands into Terminal to trim or delete snapshots.

3) Whoa, I just opened Time Machine without my external HDD plugged in and sure enough there were some backups there. I had no idea!

4) Why aren’t time machine snapshots a category in the About>Storage area if they’re taking up so much internal storage space? Because it’s purgeable and will automatically delete if necessary? It sounds like from those articles it doesn’t always purge correctly and needs to be manually deleted under certain circumstances, which is confounding to me because I want my backups to be stored on an external hard drive, not locally in these “snapshots” stealing space on my internal SSD. I kind of wish there was a setting in System Preferences that could disable this local storage of snapshots. Even if I probably were to leave it enabled, it would bring users' attention to the fact that it's even happening, which would be helpful alongside showing it in the About>Storage graph. Apple could make this a little clearer. I freaked out when I first saw that Disk Utility was showing that I only had 256 GB free! But now I understand the information they are trying to convey. I just think it could be a little clearer.

Dec 8, 2019 7:51 PM in response to rallycar27

Supposedly Snapshots are supposed to fall under Backups in Storage report.

To display /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots in Finder in High Sierra or Mojave do the following:

• Hold the Command+Shift buttons then press on the . (dot) button

• This will enable the option to view hidden files

• Hold the Command button and press Space

• This will open the Spotlight search window

• Type /Volumes and press Enter

[To turn off viewing hidden files do Command + Shift + . (dot) a second time.]

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/308775/where-are-time-machine-local-snapshots-stored-in-high-sierra

Dec 8, 2019 8:17 PM in response to rallycar27

rallycar27 wrote:

Interesting articles! Any insight on these further questions?

1) Is there a way to find out the size of these snapshots without deleting or trimming them? I don't desperately need this space to become available for something immediately and don't want to monkey with something that's currently working fine, but would love to know if they are indeed taking up the entire 382 GB of purgeable disk space.

I'm not aware of anyway to tell the size of the snapshot because the snapshot isn't a separate file or folder, but the file system itself. Unless you had some very large files/folders when the snapshot was made and you later deleted those large files/folders, then the snapshot will still retain a copy of those large items until the snapshot is deleted. I'm not really familiar with the APFS snapshots beyond the links I shared, but according to what I've read most snapshots are deleted in about a week, although TM snapshot backups may not if you haven't connected your TM drive in a while.

I can tell you from using the Linux BTRFS file system which also has file system snapshots, that if you have a lot of snapshots, then the space consumed on the drive can decrease rapidly because the file system needs to keep track of the various changes for every file/folder within each snapshot. I assume the same is true with APFS.

2) Will macOS automatically delete these snapshots/purgeable data when I need it for something else? If it will, that's great and I'll just stop worrying about it! The first article was a little unclear on this, saying "But if each snapshot could rise to 1 TB, and you’ve got dozens of snapshots, they could rapidly come to occupy all the free disk space, and block the file system from functioning." So it's unclear to me how common it is for a user to find themselves in a situation where they are putting commands into Terminal to trim or delete snapshots.

In theory the APFS snapshots should all be handled by macOS and will be deleted within a week in most circumstances except maybe if you haven't connected your TM backup drive in a while. Once TM transfers the contents contained within the snapshots, those snapshots should be automatically deleted by macOS. Unless you have absolute no free space left on the drive I don't think any user should concern themselves with the snapshots.

3) Whoa, I just opened Time Machine without my external HDD plugged in and sure enough there were some backups there. I had no idea!

4) Why aren’t time machine snapshots a category in the About>Storage area if they’re taking up so much internal storage space? Because it’s purgeable and will automatically delete if necessary? It sounds like from those articles it doesn’t always purge correctly and needs to be manually deleted under certain circumstances, which is confounding to me because I want my backups to be stored on an external hard drive, not locally in these “snapshots” stealing space on my internal SSD. I kind of wish there was a setting in System Preferences that could disable this local storage of snapshots. Even if I probably were to leave it enabled, it would bring users' attention to the fact that it's even happening, which would be helpful alongside showing it in the About>Storage graph. Apple could make this a little clearer. I freaked out when I first saw that Disk Utility was showing that I only had 256 GB free! But now I understand the information they are trying to convey. I just think it could be a little clearer.

APFS snapshots are only intended to be an internal macOS process hidden from the normal user. There is no reason to have any specific information about APFS snapshots in the GUI for most users.

Purgeable space could include other things besides AFPS snapshots.

The local snapshots are just TM preparing a backup and those local snapshots are not meant to be the permanent location of the backup. The local snapshots are just temporary until you connect your TM drive so the snapshot (or perhaps just the changed items within the snapshot) can be transferred to the external TM drive. Other APFS snapshots may be temporary "restore" points created by macOS during OS updates and again should be automatically deleted after a set period of time.

I would only check the free available storage using the Finder and "Get Info" on the drive volume or on a folder. Unfortunately Apple's storage management assessment found in various Apple apps does not always correctly show the correct values for the various storage categories.

Dec 9, 2019 11:39 PM in response to rallycar27

It appears that there is a serious bug on Catalina that "hides" free disk space and makes it unavailable. Here, 50 free GB became 2GB overnight.

Came across a few dozens of similar complaints, tried all suggested solutions and NOTHING helps. Apple continue to release half-baked operating systems - and this time they outdid themselves...

Huge discrepancy of free disk space depending on where I look (macOS Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.