Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Podcast App Crashing

This problem has just arisen today. While playing one of the many podcasts I love to pass the time with at work, my podcast stopped mid-stream without me prompting it to do so. I tried to load the app again and restart where I left off, and it shut down after 10-15 seconds of audio. I’ve restarted my phone, deleted and re-loaded the app and done everything short of a factory reset to attempt to get it working without result. Read on forums that factory reset has not helped either. The consensus seems to be that the most recent software patch is bleeding into the podcast app and functionality is being lost as a result. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. As soon as humanly possible. It’s a very quiet and boring place at my work. Need help.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 9:02 AM

I'm having this problem as well. I read on another forum that switching the phone to Airplane Mode will allow you to listen to your podcasts uninterrupted. I tried this and it definitely works but I'm not sure how long I want to sit here listening in Airplane Mode. :(

72 replies

Dec 9, 2019 10:19 AM in response to MMPRES

I'm on a month-old iPhone 11 Pro (having moved up from an iPhone SE) and this is the first time I’ve encountered a problem like this. I did the following:

• restarted the app
  • cleared all the apps in the background, and restarted the app
  • tried the app with a different podcast episode
  • deleted some podcasts to which I am not subscribed but keep in my Shows list (for occasional episodes that I want to hear). While I was deleting said podcasts, the app crashed repeatedly.
  • restarted the phone (three times)
  • offloaded the app via General->Settings->Storage->Podcasts, and redownloaded it, twice (with crashes in between)

Crashes after each of these steps, and even if I get the app to start playing the podcast episode, it crashes after 5-30 seconds.

Finally, I’ve put the phone in airplane mode, and have been able to complete one episode (about 20 minutes), and resume an earlier podcast that I thought might have been corrupted.

(Coincidentally, I had similar issues with the Pages app yesterday, and I took the same steps (offloading and restoring the app) before I could access the files on my iPad.).

Dec 9, 2019 11:12 AM in response to MMPRES

Is it fixed? I have had same issue. I just turn off the Background App Refresh option at podcasts setting. (Setting->Podcasts) I assume it's working. Anybody who goes through of podcasts app constantly crashing, try turning off Background App Refresh option and let us know. -iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 13.2.3(the latest)

• May be Apple has fixed this issue, my iPad Air 2 (iPadOS 13.2.3 (the latest)) which Background App Refresh option is turning on is working well now.

Dec 9, 2019 9:33 AM in response to MMPRES

I'm also having this issue. I have the podcast episodes downloaded onto my phone, however, when playing any downloaded episodes, the app crashes/closes on its own. I've deleted and reinstalled Apple Podcast app, however, the problem persists. I'm on iPhone 11 pro, iOS 13.2.3.

Temporarily downloaded Podcast App to listen to podcasts til problem is fixed

Dec 9, 2019 9:32 AM in response to the_becca

I have had the same issue as the OP, just starting this morning. Thought it was same issues as above. But reboot and deleting some of my old archived podcasts to reduce storage and/or the app’s internal DB. Still crashes.

In the spirit of what you noted, the_becca, I turned off cellular data for Podcasts (I’m not where I have WiFi) and it is now stable. Around the time it would have crashed, it brought up the prompt asking for internet access. I told it to ignore it and it’s now fine, though certainly not a fix. Maybe it’s got something to do with cloud sync or something.

For those wondering, this is on an 8 Plus/iOS 12.4.

Dec 9, 2019 9:43 AM in response to MMPRES

Same here. Just started doint this to me this afrternoon. Every 3-7 min my podcast just stops abruptly. Happenes while using carplay and while using airpods. Tried restarting both phone and app. neither helped. Other threads seemed to suggest deleting/redownloading the app but I dont want to have to download all these podcasts again so I am hoping someone can chimne in stating that they already tried that before I make the attempt.

Dec 9, 2019 9:50 AM in response to kd_KD

I temporarily switched to spotify and guess what I discovered.. The built in spotify EQ works for podcasts too! I really wish apple would allow us to use an EQ setting for podcasts. Most of the small/cheap speakers I play through are too bass heavy which is not a good fit for voices. Anyway. I think this might have been a blessing in disguise.

Apple Podcast App Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.