Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Driving, can't text message sending automatically / DND not working properly

I have an iPhone 8 plus on OS 13.1.3. Ever since the update to that OS everyone receives an auto reply from me when I'm driving that says: "Driving, can't text." This wasn't happening before the update.

The thing is, I have Do Not Disturb settings off.

Do Not Disturb: Off

Scheduled: Off

DND While Driving: Manually (but I never activate it)

Auto-Reply To: No One

At first I thought that maybe because I had DND scheduled from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. that somehow my phone was just messed up since the update and thought I had DND on all the time. So I turned off that setting and turned my phone off and on. But the problem persisted.

Does anyone else have this problem and have you found a solution?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 5:28 AM

Thank you. I finally figured out the problem. My car stereo was set to auto-reply. I did not set it up to auto reply. I have had the car since 2015 and only suddenly after the Apple OS update did I have this problem. So I don't know if the iPhone update or a car stereo update I'm not aware of caused it to default to that setting. But it's all fixed now. Thank you for replying.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 5:28 AM in response to chris_g1

Thank you. I finally figured out the problem. My car stereo was set to auto-reply. I did not set it up to auto reply. I have had the car since 2015 and only suddenly after the Apple OS update did I have this problem. So I don't know if the iPhone update or a car stereo update I'm not aware of caused it to default to that setting. But it's all fixed now. Thank you for replying.

Dec 12, 2019 10:41 AM in response to angwork

Hey there angwork,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand Do Not Disturb While Driving is sending automatic messages to your contacts unexpectedly. I’ll be happy to help.

When this issue occurs, does Do Not Disturb While Driving show as active in Control Center? I ask because when you set the feature to start Manually, it makes it so you use Control Center to turn on Do Not Disturb While Driving before you start. You can read more about this here:

How to use Do Not Disturb While Driving

If that doesn’t help, back up your iPhone and update to isolate this issue:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restarting your iPhone may help as well

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Also, is your car stereo and iPhone paired together when this happens? If so, turn off Bluetooth in Settings > Bluetooth and see if this helps at all.

Cheers.

Driving, can't text message sending automatically / DND not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.