Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Office compatibility with Catalina

Hi,

If I knew that upgrading to Catalina will cause so much problem with my Open Office app that is no longer compatible, and now I can not use all my documents on my computer due to this harsh monopoly. Any advice from this community on how to restore my files and my faith?

Thank you,

M

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 12:51 PM

I haven't used OpenOffice since LibreOffice spun off of the OpenOffice project. I can assure you that the current LibreOffice v6.3.3.2 (as of now) works just fine on Catalina 10.15.1. It should open all of your OpenOffice documents without fanfare.

5 replies

Dec 9, 2019 1:02 PM in response to LaCaravan

Ask the app vendor; the OpenOffice Mac developers Over at Apache. Or you’re undoubtedly welcome to help with the app.

The current OpenOffice version specs list support for OS X 10.7 through macOS 10.13. Not for 10.14 and later. Whether that’s an error?

It appears there are some 32-bit issues still lurking with the OpenOffice Catalina testing. Log the bugs that you find. The 64-bit app migration has been underway for all app developers since around OS X 10.4, and with 32-bit app problems flagged to end-users starting with macOS 10.13.4.

Your choices here are limited to waiting for OpenOffice updates, reverting to or otherwise running an older macOS version, running macOS as a guest in a virtual machine and OpenOffice running within that guest, or migrating to alternatives including LibreOffice, and Microsoft Office, or using the Apple iWork apps. Apple iWork can read and write various Office documents, but does not support all Office features.

Open Office compatibility with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.