Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

create a WiFi Access Point without internet?

Was wondering if it was possible to use my MacBook Air to create a WiFi Access Point that would allow nearby devices to join the WiFi network and access web content hosted on the MacBook Air?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 7:15 AM

Your question is a little confusing. It reads like you are running a web server on your local network-connected MacBook Air and you want nearby devices to connect to that web server. If so, run your web server and have other devices connected to your local network access the content at http://YourMacsLocalipAddress.

If you have a different configuration or are asking something else let us know.

Or if you are asking about Internet sharing: Share the internet connection on Mac with other network users - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2019 7:15 AM in response to thomas.capogreco

Your question is a little confusing. It reads like you are running a web server on your local network-connected MacBook Air and you want nearby devices to connect to that web server. If so, run your web server and have other devices connected to your local network access the content at http://YourMacsLocalipAddress.

If you have a different configuration or are asking something else let us know.

Or if you are asking about Internet sharing: Share the internet connection on Mac with other network users - Apple Support

Dec 10, 2019 8:42 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I don't believe this is straight forward.

Clicking 'Create Network ...' from the WiFi drop down menu seems to work well for apple devices, but I don't seem to be able to join it with my Android phone.

Other guides, such as this one, don't seem to result in a visible, joinable SSID.

Is there a simple way to create an inclusive, standalone WiFi LAN on a MacBook?

create a WiFi Access Point without internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.