Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID keeps saying move iPhone higher/lower

I’m using iPhone XR with the newest iOS ver. I’ve set up Face ID before and it works for a few months, but suddenly it cannot recognize my face, so I reset the Face ID. When I set up the new Face ID, it keeps saying move iPhone lower/higher. No matter how much I move my phone, it still won’t have any effect.

Pls help. Thankyou

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 7:57 PM

Hi rosita161,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to set up Face ID on your iPhone XR, and I'd like to help.

You mentioned your iPhone is up to date. Just to confirm, please navigate to Settings > General > Software Update, and make sure there have not been any new releases since you last checked. If there is a new iOS version, please update: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, and test for the same behavior. If the issue remains, or you are up to date already, continue below.

Try out these steps next. Be sure to test for resolution after each step, before moving to the next.

-Make sure your Ring/Silent switch is set to Ring mode: How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode - Apple Support.

-Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

If you continue to experience the same issue, please reply back and let me know if you see any alerts such as 'Face ID has been disabled', or, 'Face ID is not available'.

Best regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 7:57 PM in response to rosita161

Hi rosita161,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to set up Face ID on your iPhone XR, and I'd like to help.

You mentioned your iPhone is up to date. Just to confirm, please navigate to Settings > General > Software Update, and make sure there have not been any new releases since you last checked. If there is a new iOS version, please update: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, and test for the same behavior. If the issue remains, or you are up to date already, continue below.

Try out these steps next. Be sure to test for resolution after each step, before moving to the next.

-Make sure your Ring/Silent switch is set to Ring mode: How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode - Apple Support.

-Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

If you continue to experience the same issue, please reply back and let me know if you see any alerts such as 'Face ID has been disabled', or, 'Face ID is not available'.

Best regards.

Face ID keeps saying move iPhone higher/lower

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.