Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple mail not connecting to server at charter.net

New iPhone 11 pro max and after upgrading to IOS 13.2.3, apple mail quit working with the charter email servers. I even went to the Genius Bar and their so-called expert simply stated that he has seen this problem before and stated their was nothing he could do. He said he would elevate the issue to their software engineers, but I know how that goes. It might take up to a year before they address this issue. Other email apps have the same problem with Charter.net. I called charter.net and their support person were not aware of any issues on their part. The only app that works is Microsoft Outlook. The problem is with IOS 13.2.3 as my iPad and iMac have no problem getting email from the Charter server. I usually don't update the IOS since there always seems to be problems, but with a new iPhone I thought the update would enhance some new features. Anyone having the same problem?

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 3:14 PM

You're welcome. Did you ever speak to Charter.net to see what they had to say. Unless there is something unusual about this particular mail provider, removing all of your mail information and the app should have fixed the issue. They should be able to help with issues logging into their servers.

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 10, 2019 3:20 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

it is an IMAP account with the same settings as my iPad and iMac. When I open the email app it starts checking for mail but doesn’t download any and states just updated now. When I remove the account and reboot and then try to setup email account the app starts with looking up account and then during the verification process it returns the error that it cannot connect to the IMAP server. I can download my gmail, just not charter.net.

Dec 10, 2019 3:28 PM in response to vettenut2017

Okay, so you verified all of the settings for the account are the same as the iPad, including Advanced Settings for port numbers, SSL, Authentication, and server settings? This would also include going under the Account, then tapping on SMTP, then the primary server and click to check the settings there. Do you have Gmail setup in the native Mail app, or are you using the Gmail app?

If you remove the charter account from the iPhone, then power it off, then power it back on again, reset network settings, then attempt to add it back, will it still give you the error? I just wonder if something incorrect about the current setup is hanging on that you cannot add it back correctly.

Dec 12, 2019 12:35 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

My latest attempt was to delete Apple mail app, then update to IOS 13.3. (Which was just released). After updating I downloaded the mail app and then added new accounts and the same problem. I then reset network settings, and again added my mail account and the same problem that the charter imap server is not responding. I am going to another Apple store and find a tech that hopefully can solve the problem. I doubt Apple engineers will address this issue in the near future. I will continue to use Outlook since it is the only mail app that works on my iPhone.

Dec 12, 2019 11:00 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris at Apple support (phone line) corrected my issue. He stuck with me for over two hours. He had me reinstall iOS on my iPhone setting it as a new phone. Everything had to be done manually. All apps had to be reinstalled from the App Store (purchases) one by one. Probably spent over 12 hours not including my trip to the Genius Bar where I was served by a guy who was everything but a genius. I did notice that the accounts screen in Apple mail was slightly different from just before I started the reinstall.

apple mail not connecting to server at charter.net

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.