Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to change my Apple ID

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 5:46 AM

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support     I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address because the Apple ID got compromised. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 5:46 AM in response to Vets777

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support     I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address because the Apple ID got compromised. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.