Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Mac mini and an USB drive to a Time Capsule A1470

I have a 2012 Mac mini. Attached is a large USB drive with photos and music. on the network I have a Time Capsule. how do I Back-up the mini AND the USB drive to the TC ?

Currently the Time Machine on the Mini does back-up to the Time Capsule. I do not know if , cannot tel if the data on the USB drive is also going to the TC

Thanks

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 7:45 AM

how do I Back-up the mini AND the USB drive to the TC ?

We will assume that the backup drive has been formatted for Mac and Time Machine

Open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Click Options

The next window will display a list of devices that have been Excluded from Time Machine backups

By default, the USB drive will appear here if it is formatted correctly for Mac

Click on the USB drive name to highlight it

Click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the list to remove the USB from being excluded from Time Machine backups

Click Save

Close the windows

Now, since you have removed the USB drive from being excluded in backups, the USB drive will be backed up along with your Mac

I do not know if , cannot tel if the data on the USB drive is also going to the TC

Currently, it is not.....unless you have already previously performed the steps listed above. If you have, then the USB drive will not appear in the list of Excluded items from backups.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 7:45 AM in response to dave8345

how do I Back-up the mini AND the USB drive to the TC ?

We will assume that the backup drive has been formatted for Mac and Time Machine

Open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Click Options

The next window will display a list of devices that have been Excluded from Time Machine backups

By default, the USB drive will appear here if it is formatted correctly for Mac

Click on the USB drive name to highlight it

Click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the list to remove the USB from being excluded from Time Machine backups

Click Save

Close the windows

Now, since you have removed the USB drive from being excluded in backups, the USB drive will be backed up along with your Mac

I do not know if , cannot tel if the data on the USB drive is also going to the TC

Currently, it is not.....unless you have already previously performed the steps listed above. If you have, then the USB drive will not appear in the list of Excluded items from backups.

Backing up Mac mini and an USB drive to a Time Capsule A1470

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.