Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview PDF bookmark jumps to wrong page

I tried adding a bookmark to a page in a PDF document. The red bookmark appears in the top right corner of the page as expected. However when i click the bookmark in the sidebar preview jumps to a page which is usually way off the actual bookmarked page. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 3:01 AM

I have found the problem (latest Catalina).

If you press "bookmark", it creates a bookmark with the current page number (absolute of the document).

When you try to access the bookmark, it jumps to the saved page number - BUT in internal document marking (page number written in document), which has some difference to the absolute number because of preamble etc.

So it saves and reads something different. I hope they fix this bug.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 3:01 AM in response to Joseph_S.

I have found the problem (latest Catalina).

If you press "bookmark", it creates a bookmark with the current page number (absolute of the document).

When you try to access the bookmark, it jumps to the saved page number - BUT in internal document marking (page number written in document), which has some difference to the absolute number because of preamble etc.

So it saves and reads something different. I hope they fix this bug.

Dec 15, 2019 9:34 AM in response to Speedbird5918

Hi Speedbird5918,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand Bookmarks are not working as expected within a PDF document on your Mac. I would like to explore this further.

This article discusses how to add a Bookmark to a page in your PDF document. This can help confirm you are taking the appropriate steps: Bookmark PDF pages in Preview on Mac - Apple Support. When following these steps, does it ever work as intended? Or, does selecting the bookmark from the sidebar, always take you to a different page than what was bookmarked originally?

If the issue remains, try to restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support, and make sure your macOS is fully updated: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Preview PDF bookmark jumps to wrong page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.