Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are EGPU issues fixed in 10.15.2 Catalina

I have been holding off on upgrading to Catalina because of the issues I have seen posted regarding booting with an EGPU connected. I have a 2018 Mac mini with a Razer Core X EGPU box containing an RX580.

I was wondering if the latest update to Catalina (10.15.2) fixes these issues.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 3:20 PM

Kappy wrote:

Whatever changes are in 10.15.2 are listed here: What has changed in Catalina 10.15.2?.
  • Thanks. I had seen other release notes but none that had that much detail. The comment down near the bottom about "AMD, AMDRadeon and Intel kernel extensions increase in build numbers" might point me in the right direction. That may indicate that updated AMD kext's did fix the issue but I haven't heard that yet.

If you want to ask about specific problems with your eGPU, then please state them. You are not using an Apple product, so you should direct your questions to the manufacturer. Razer does not make Apple compatible hardware, and may not be aware there are problems.

Nope, no specific problems with my eGPU at the moment. I would have stated so if I did have some. I'm trying to prevent them from occurring by not installing Catalina until those problems posted on the web have been fixed.

Some examples:

https://www.cultofmac.com/658768/macos-catalina-egpu-issues/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/14/apples-macos-catalina-causing-problems-with-select-egpu-setups

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/10/16/use-an-egpu-read-this-there-are-some-problems-with-macos-catalina

https://www.imore.com/macos-catalina-causing-problems-external-gpus

And, actually, Razer does make Mac compatible products. Regarding my eGPU chassis, the Core X, this is what Razer says:

"Does the Razer Core X work with a Mac?

Yes, they are compatible with Thunderbolt 3 Macs running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 or later and requires a compatible AMD graphics card."

However, you are correct that they may not 'know' that problems have cropped up since Catalina.

And, from Apples support article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

"AMD Radeon RX 470, RX 480, RX 570, RX 580, and Radeon Pro WX 7100

These graphics cards are based on the AMD Polaris architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Pulse series and the AMD WX series.

Recommended Thunderbolt 3 chassis for these graphics cards:

• OWC Mercury Helios FX
  • PowerColor Devil Box
  • Sapphire Gear Box
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350W
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W
  • Razer Core X
  • PowerColor Game Station
  • HP Omen
  • Akitio Node"

So, per Apple the RX 580 combined with the Razer Core X should be compatible with the Mac. And it has been up to the release of Catalina.

Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Include your hardware information and installed version of macOS.

I could have been more clear in my question. Instead of "I was wondering if the latest update to Catalina (10.15.2) fixes these issues." I should have asked: "Did the 10.15.2 update fix the problem with some Macs not being able to boot when connected to an eGPU using an RX580 and running Catalina." I assumed anyone that either was having this problem or had read about it would understand what I was talking about. My bad. I hope this post provides you sufficient information so that you don't have to be clairvoyant.

FYI: These are user-only forums. You are not speaking to Apple. if you need to speak with Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Yep, 100% aware of this. I wanted to crowd source the answer. Figured that there are a lot more 'users' than 'Apple Support' out there that might either have experienced this problem or run across an article where someone said it was fixed. Especially since I have not seen an 'official' admission from Apple that the problem exists. There may be one, but I have not run across it.

108 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 3:20 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Whatever changes are in 10.15.2 are listed here: What has changed in Catalina 10.15.2?.
  • Thanks. I had seen other release notes but none that had that much detail. The comment down near the bottom about "AMD, AMDRadeon and Intel kernel extensions increase in build numbers" might point me in the right direction. That may indicate that updated AMD kext's did fix the issue but I haven't heard that yet.

If you want to ask about specific problems with your eGPU, then please state them. You are not using an Apple product, so you should direct your questions to the manufacturer. Razer does not make Apple compatible hardware, and may not be aware there are problems.

Nope, no specific problems with my eGPU at the moment. I would have stated so if I did have some. I'm trying to prevent them from occurring by not installing Catalina until those problems posted on the web have been fixed.

Some examples:

https://www.cultofmac.com/658768/macos-catalina-egpu-issues/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/14/apples-macos-catalina-causing-problems-with-select-egpu-setups

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/10/16/use-an-egpu-read-this-there-are-some-problems-with-macos-catalina

https://www.imore.com/macos-catalina-causing-problems-external-gpus

And, actually, Razer does make Mac compatible products. Regarding my eGPU chassis, the Core X, this is what Razer says:

"Does the Razer Core X work with a Mac?

Yes, they are compatible with Thunderbolt 3 Macs running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 or later and requires a compatible AMD graphics card."

However, you are correct that they may not 'know' that problems have cropped up since Catalina.

And, from Apples support article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

"AMD Radeon RX 470, RX 480, RX 570, RX 580, and Radeon Pro WX 7100

These graphics cards are based on the AMD Polaris architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Pulse series and the AMD WX series.

Recommended Thunderbolt 3 chassis for these graphics cards:

• OWC Mercury Helios FX
  • PowerColor Devil Box
  • Sapphire Gear Box
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350W
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W
  • Razer Core X
  • PowerColor Game Station
  • HP Omen
  • Akitio Node"

So, per Apple the RX 580 combined with the Razer Core X should be compatible with the Mac. And it has been up to the release of Catalina.

Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Include your hardware information and installed version of macOS.

I could have been more clear in my question. Instead of "I was wondering if the latest update to Catalina (10.15.2) fixes these issues." I should have asked: "Did the 10.15.2 update fix the problem with some Macs not being able to boot when connected to an eGPU using an RX580 and running Catalina." I assumed anyone that either was having this problem or had read about it would understand what I was talking about. My bad. I hope this post provides you sufficient information so that you don't have to be clairvoyant.

FYI: These are user-only forums. You are not speaking to Apple. if you need to speak with Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Yep, 100% aware of this. I wanted to crowd source the answer. Figured that there are a lot more 'users' than 'Apple Support' out there that might either have experienced this problem or run across an article where someone said it was fixed. Especially since I have not seen an 'official' admission from Apple that the problem exists. There may be one, but I have not run across it.

Dec 11, 2019 7:16 PM in response to jormsby

I have the 2018 Mac mini with the Razor Core X & AMD Radeon RX Vega 56. It worked flawless in 10.15 & 10.15.1. Using Final Cut everything was great. However updating to 10.15.2 caused the monitor to boot to a black screen. I had to unplug the monitor from the eGPU and plug in directly to the Mac mini. Then I reset the PRAM and NVRAM and have connected the monitor back to the eGPU and it is working normal now. 10.15.2 is buggy. I would not update to that if I could go back. 10.15.1 was pretty stable and my 2018 Mac Mini was singing. I hope an update comes soon. Hope this helps.

Dec 11, 2019 1:10 PM in response to jormsby

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Dec 15, 2019 12:25 PM in response to Rene_B

Meanwhile I could resolve the issue, at least partially ...

My system can boot now with the EGPU and the monitor only attached to it, though it takes me directly to the logon screen, so no Apple logo and I suppose no (cmd+R) recovery and so on like it was possible in 10.15.1.

After reinstalling 10.15.2, I went through several "sessions" as described in the answer by "Mac Carlos" to the following post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250934910

Results may vary, but maybe worth a try ...

Dec 26, 2019 5:16 AM in response to Rene_B

Same system here. Different experiences w/r 10.15.1 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250839838). 10.15.2 initially allowed me to use the eGPU but not connected to the display ( Razer -> mini via Thunderbolt 3 and Dell U2718Q -> mini via TB3 DisplayPort cable). eGPU menu bar icon appears and Activity Monitor has an eGPU tab. Opening the eGPU history windoid showed the eGPU was being used. This worked for a day or two and then it was back to frozen apps (including Activity Monitor) and reboot. Completely unstable in that sometimes the 'force quit' option under the Apple menu worked for the frozen app, sometimes not. The situation went from hours of stability to a few minutes before a freeze.

Ran EtreCheck and trashed my only two 32-bit apps (LittleSnitch and Dropbox): same issues. Set up a test user account with no third party apps: same issues. And I'm not willing to live without LS and DB forever (have contacted DB about the 32-bit kext).

Just finished my 2nd reinstall of 10.15.2 and am more than a little nervous about hooking up the eGPU again. It's $1K worth of hardware stilling idle. And a $2.2K mini that was purchased with the Apple's promise of eGPU support.

As an aside, my previous mini is running Catalina without issue. For weeks at a time (as a fileserver). Of course it has no eGPU.

Jan 16, 2020 6:22 AM in response to jormsby

Just wanted to pile on here as my system was working perfectly before updating to 10.15.2.

System: Mac mini (2018)

eGPU: Razer Core X + Radeon VII

Issue: System boots to black screen, nothing fixes it once boot sequences has begun. The Mac mini will sit like this indefinitely and get very hot.

Temporary fixes: Reset NVRAM and/or SMC. Sometimes one works without the other, other times you doing both is required.

Moving forward I'm going to try the suggestion I read here and boot the Mac mini first and then turn the eGPU 30 seconds after. This would still be annoying, but it's better than reseting the NVRAM and SMC as I've been having to do every few days.

Jan 18, 2020 12:51 PM in response to aznemeng

They're probably embarrassed. Before jumping on the 2018 mini + eGPU all I read/tubed was gush. "Build a Mac gaming monster!" Easy Peasy. Plug and Pay.

Step 1: Buy a tricked out mini (or trick it out yourself ... the RAM is upgradable!!).

Step 2: Buy an enclosure (we all LOVE the Razer Core X ... don't get sucked into that non-upgradable, over-priced gear offered in the Apple Store).

Step 3: Buy any of these (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544) and pop it in the box.

Step 4: ...

Gaming Nirvana!!!

They never really covered Step 4.

To be fair, I jumped the gun. If I'd searched for problem reports instead of pink happy posts, I probably wouldn't be where I am... still waiting. For the point release that will fix it all. Or, more likely, Not.

Feb 1, 2020 10:01 PM in response to Michael Viksna

Thanks for this - makes sense.

Thing is though, eGPU support worked fine(ish) during 10.15.1if you had the AMD NAVI cards (eg. RX5700).

So they can fix it if they want. Guess they don't want to.

Interestingly, they also appear to have broken MacOS 10.14 Mojave Mini eGPU support with a "Security Update" in late December. MacOS 10.14 worked flawlessly before that.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250934910

Notice a lot of users are doing all kinds of rain-dancing to try and get it to work again, with many claiming they managed to "solve" the problem.

Luckily the Mini-eGPU power-up 2-step works as temporary workaround. Until class-action litigation causes corporate types to suddenly wake up and fix it fast ;?)

Feb 3, 2020 7:13 PM in response to jormsby

I have the Sonnet BB 550 with a RX 580 GPU. I am using a Mac mini.

I solved this issue by purchasing a headless HDMI adapter.

• Booted to macOS via Mac mini HDMI Port then once booted I turned on the eGPU
    • Unplug the HDMI from the Mac mini and then insert it into the HDMI port of the GPU (RX580)
    • Insert the "Headless HDMI Adapter" into the Mac mini HDMI port
    • Open Display Preferences and select "Mirror Displays" in the Arrangement Tab
    • Select the monitor that is plugged into the eGPU in the "Optimized for:". This should be the name of the monitor
  • Reboot
    • Still a black screen but after a few seconds. The login screen pops up
    • Successfully logged in and verified that the RX 580 is currently being used in the "About this Mac" window

Previously if the monitor is connected to the eGPU and nothing is plugged into the Mac mini HDMI port. I experience the same thing that everyone else sees. Black screen, pink lines and does not boot. OR turning on the Mac mini, wait a few seconds then turn on the eGPU.

With the Headless HDMI Adapter. I can now keep the eGPU on while the monitor is plugged into it. Then after a few seconds the login screen pops up.

This solution at least saves me the headache of turning the eGPU after the Mac mini boots after 30-60 seconds. I don't have to touch wires nor touch the eGPU for the matter.

*I haven't tested this with FileVault on. I'm 100% sure it still doesn't work because punching in your password for FileVault happens before the Boot ROM initializes the eGPU.

*Tested this also during cold boot with no issues

Jan 1, 2020 7:52 PM in response to Kappy

Fair enough. I guess we will find out the hard way. Like we did with 10.15.2 =/

On a more positive note, have been bitten by eGPU-death during OS upgrades enough times now that in future will do the following:

• Disconnect the eGPU and turn it off
  • Connect the Mac Mini monitor via HDMI
  • Run the OS update, rebuilt the PRAM, run it for a few hours to see if everything is running okay
  • Power up the eGPU, do a restart and cross my fingers…

Jan 6, 2020 2:28 PM in response to jastone2

I have almost the same rig as you (RX 5700, ASUS XG-STATION-PRO eGPU).

Follow my instructions from eariler in this thread. Turn the eGPU off. Power up the Mac Mini, wait @ 30 sec, then turn on the eGPU. You miss the apple startup screen, but you will get the log-in screen and it works fine after that. No need to pull plugs or do monitor/ cable switcheroos.

Just cannot restart with the eGPU running =/

I edit 100MP - 200MP photos using Affinity photo. Also run PTGUI panorama software and C1 Pro 20.0.1. No problems.

BTW the AMD RX5700 benchmark specs are reasonable:

• Luxmark Ball: 24 782. (just less than double the RX 580 I used with OS Catalina 10.15.0)
  • Unengine Valley: (1080x1920, Ultra) 97 FPS; (1692x3008, Ultra) 62 FPS

Jan 17, 2020 8:04 AM in response to jormsby

OMG, guys, this discussion now went up to eleven and is no longer useful... The bottom line:

1. eGPU is screwed (thanks Tim for your service, but I want Steve back for both hardware and software)
  2. To run it at least on MacMini: run it first without eGPU turned ON, then in ~10 secs turn it on.
  3. Wait for 10.15.3 and maybe be a first kamikaze who would like to try it out.

That said, bye everyone.

Jan 28, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Old Toad

The latest macOS Catalina release notes don't seem to expressly mention a fix for the eGPU issues.

From http://osxdaily.com/2020/01/28/macos-catalina-10-15-3-update-security-updates-mojave-highsierra/

• The macOS Catalina 10.15.3 update improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.
  • Optimizes gamma handling of low gray levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
  • Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC and H.264-encoded 4K video on the MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Are EGPU issues fixed in 10.15.2 Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.