Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari changing homepage!

Safari keeps setting my homepage to a yahoo search engine. I am unable to change it under preferences, as it will not let me - its "greyed out" and un-clickable. Any ideas on what to do?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 7:00 PM

Safari Homepage setting greyed out 

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS X

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 7:00 PM in response to Mississippi-Hippie

Safari Homepage setting greyed out 

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS X

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Dec 11, 2019 10:06 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the information! I did the malware, did not help. I do not have any extensions, those were deleted last time this happened, which was before the Catalina update. I still have the redirect. Below is the link that I keep getting redirected too.

http://search.searchpulse.net/?_pg=9C12A1D2-565C-5A93-B112-E3AB61A81877&affid=dhm_A0J95_set_bsf_T&type=t&pid=dhm

Safari changing homepage!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.