Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working with styles appears broken when using pages with a cloud-based document - undocumented bug?

When working on a shared document in the cloud, I cannot define new styles (paragraph or character); the "+" is grayed out. I cannot rename a style, or create a new style based on an existing style. I cannot apply shortcuts.

I can live with that. But I cannot live with the fact that it does not appear prominently in the documentation. Just wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why styles appeared broken, and I see that there is at least one previous post about a similar that goes on for 3 pages with people talking past one another -- people trying to help could not replicate nor solve the user's problem. I suspect he was using a cloud document, just like me, and that this bug was not known to anyone who tried to answer that post.

Can anyone confirm for me that styles do not work right when editing cloud documents? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 11:33 AM

The limitations placed on a Pages document that is shared via an iCloud.com link is that styles can only be created, deleted, or reordered by the owner of the document, who must end the sharing, make the changes themselves, and then reshare the document via iCloud.com. See the section, Features not supported by collaboration, in the following Apple article, About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 11:33 AM in response to larryfromwashu

The limitations placed on a Pages document that is shared via an iCloud.com link is that styles can only be created, deleted, or reordered by the owner of the document, who must end the sharing, make the changes themselves, and then reshare the document via iCloud.com. See the section, Features not supported by collaboration, in the following Apple article, About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Working with styles appears broken when using pages with a cloud-based document - undocumented bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.