Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Pages Document Can't Create New Styles

I'm using macOS 11.6.1 and Pages 11.2.

In Pages, when I create a new Pages document I am able to create new styles (Format -> Advanced -> Create Style); however, when I attempt to create a style in an existing document, the "Create Style" option is greyed out.

The existing document has been around for a couple of years (it is a design specification for a development project) and it gets frequently updated. It is also shared with my team.

Any thoughts as to why "Create Style" is greyed out in this document?

Thanks,

Mark

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 4:38 PM

Thanks for the link to the Pages User Guide for Mac, @VikingOSX. I found a link to the answer in there. To share with others:

The answer is on the website "About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote" (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206181). Under the heading "Features Not Supported with Collaboration" unsupported features include: "Create, delete, or reorder styles."

To change your styles in a shared document, you have to first un-share the document, make the changes, and then re-share the document.

Mark

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 4:38 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the link to the Pages User Guide for Mac, @VikingOSX. I found a link to the answer in there. To share with others:

The answer is on the website "About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote" (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206181). Under the heading "Features Not Supported with Collaboration" unsupported features include: "Create, delete, or reorder styles."

To change your styles in a shared document, you have to first un-share the document, make the changes, and then re-share the document.

Mark

Nov 11, 2021 10:25 AM in response to MarkWilx

My first thought is that you must have an object preselected that can activate that Format > Advanced > Create ___ Style menu item. If I insert a shape and then visit that menu item, I see Create Shape Style is now active. If I deselect that shape, then the menu item is inactive.

If that is not the issue, then I suggest that you review the Share and Collaborate section of the Pages User Guide for Mac, and see if something in the requirements for collaboration, or otherwise stands out as a causal agent.

Shared Pages Document Can't Create New Styles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.