Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set default audio output on MacBook Pro

Hi all,

I've a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019 with macOS Catalina 10.15.2) connected to a Samsung external monitor via Displayport.

I've noticed that the sound output keep defaulting back to my Displayport monitor despite me selecting Internal Speakers from System Preferences each time I either reboot or wake up my Mac. I already tried using the Midi app, with no success.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 9:59 AM

Hi Tounnaz,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand the sound output setting is changing after rebooting or waking your MacBook Pro. I'd like to help.

It sounds like you're familiar with changing the sound output in System Preferences, as discussed here: Change the sound output settings on Mac - Apple Support. Check out this page in the macOS User Guide: If your Mac switches to a different audio device - Apple Support. Try to see if this helps out when you relate the steps to your connected monitor.

If the behavior remains, let's try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM as it relates to sound preferences: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 9:59 AM in response to Tounnaz

Hi Tounnaz,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand the sound output setting is changing after rebooting or waking your MacBook Pro. I'd like to help.

It sounds like you're familiar with changing the sound output in System Preferences, as discussed here: Change the sound output settings on Mac - Apple Support. Check out this page in the macOS User Guide: If your Mac switches to a different audio device - Apple Support. Try to see if this helps out when you relate the steps to your connected monitor.

If the behavior remains, let's try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM as it relates to sound preferences: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Set default audio output on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.