Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External speaker control via Macbook

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) running Big Sur 11.4. I have it connected to a HP Z27 monitor via a usb-c to usb-c connection. My external stereo speakers are connected via a regular headphone plug, also into the monitor. I am using an Apple bluetooth Magic Keyboard.

Up until 2 or 3 days ago, I was able to use the volume control keys of the Magic keyboard to control the volume of the external speakers. Suddenly, that no longer works. It has been working this way since I bought my Mac one month ago. When I look in system prefs>sound, it says that the HP Z27 has no output controls. Yes, I can control the speakers manually via their volume knob, but I like controlling from the keyboard.

I don't know what changed? How can I get it back how it was? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 11:13 AM

Hi andygr2,

We are glad you have a way to control your speakers from the keyboard now. You may need to reach out to HP to get some insights on what may have changed with the monitor.

Have a good day!

3 replies

Jul 20, 2021 5:58 PM in response to andygr2

Good afternoon andygr2,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are trying to control the volume of your external speakers using your Magic keyboard, and we'd like to help.

Have you tried connecting the stereo speakers directly to your MacBook Pro and bypassing the HP Z27 monitor? It also might be helpful to connect your monitor, keyboard and speakers to a central hub, with one connection to your Mac.

Take care.

Jul 20, 2021 8:05 PM in response to judysings

Thanks for your suggestion. It was not the solution that I'm looking for but it accomplishes what I want. The HP Z27 has a 'built-in' hub, so everything does get connected to the monitor/hub and then there is a single usb-c to usb-c connection to the Mac, except for the keyboard which is bluetooth.

When I connect from monitor usb-c out to Mac usb-c in, and look at syst prefs>sound>output, it indicates that the monitor is connected via DP (not usb-c) and there are no output controls. When I plug the speakers into the Mac, they are recognized as headphones and I can control them from the keyboard.

So, I get the control of volume that I want at the loss of having everything plugged into the monitor/hub. I just wonder what changed that was working before.

External speaker control via Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.