Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect external speakers to USB-C port on MacBook Pro

I have a 16" MBP connected to an LG 5K 27" monitor.

Looking to buy some very good speakers for my setup, like Audio Engine or Edifier. I don't want to use bluetooth to connect to them, would rather have a wired connection.

I cannot figure out how to connect a bookshelf speaker like one of the above to my MBP with USB-C. Can I simply use a USB-C to USB adaptor, or a USB-C to audio out?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 2:01 PM

Bryan Schmiedeler wrote:

Looking to buy some very good speakers for my setup, like Audio Engine or Edifier. I don't want to use bluetooth to connect to them, would rather have a wired connection.

I cannot figure out how to connect a bookshelf speaker like one of the above to my MBP with USB-C. Can I simply use a USB-C to USB adaptor, or a USB-C to audio out?

Depends what your speakers have—

typically you just plug into the Audio port out: "3.5 mm headphone jack"

If your speakers of choice have a USB connector and not a 3.5mm plug, then you simply use a adapter USBC to USB USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 2:01 PM in response to Bryan Schmiedeler

Bryan Schmiedeler wrote:

Depends what your speakers have—

typically you just plug into the Audio port out: "3.5 mm headphone jack"

If your speakers of choice have a USB connector and not a 3.5mm plug, then you simply use a adapter USBC to USB USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Feb 17, 2021 2:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

I don't have any speakers yet, I am considering which pair to buy.

I want to avoid using the headphone jack, as newer MBPs don't support optical out, and so the sound would not be as good as using a USB out, or so I am led to believe. I think that your suggestion to to use a USB-C to USB Adaptor will work fine. I am hoping that I can use this from my LG monitor right to the speakers.

How to connect external speakers to USB-C port on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.