Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still listen to music when it's plugged into Macbook (monitor has no built-in speakers)

I've connected my Macbook Air to a Samsung monitor via an HDMI cable. The monitor doesn't have built-in speakers. I have a Marshall Bluetooth speaker that I usually connect sound output to from my Macbook. Is there a way to select and specify that Sound Output should be from Macbook to Bluetooth speaker, when the monitor is connected via HDMI?

I basically want to save my eyes, and use a big screen, but still listen to music and be able to watch videos with sound on this big screen. I bought the monitor off FB marketplace, practically new, for a great deal...so I didn't know it didn't have internal speakers.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 12:13 PM

As long as you can connect the BT speakers, yes you can surely listen to music. Or anything else you choose for that matter.

The HDMI connection to the monitor is completely separate from BT.

1 reply

Can I still listen to music when it's plugged into Macbook (monitor has no built-in speakers)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.