Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My keyboard volume and brightness controls don't work on M1 Mac mini

I connected a LG 27UN850-W monitor to my M1 Mac Mini using a USB-C cable. Unfortunately, the function keys controlling brightness and volume do now work.

I get sound from the monitors speakers, and the picture is great. But in order to change the volume, I must use the monitor's controls.

Some online workarounds require installing third-party software. I'm reluctant to do that since I think the Mini should be able to handle these minor tasks natively.

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 4:58 AM

There are very, very few HDMI or DisplayPort monitors or TVs for that matter than any Mac can control brightness on. It has been that way with all Macs as long as I can remember. The only display I could ever control brightness on a Mac was the old Apple Thunderbolt Display.

The reason is that the Macs supply the complete digital video stream via HDMI or DisplayPort to the device and it is up to the device to determine how to use it.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2021 4:58 AM in response to Mark_in-Waipahu

There are very, very few HDMI or DisplayPort monitors or TVs for that matter than any Mac can control brightness on. It has been that way with all Macs as long as I can remember. The only display I could ever control brightness on a Mac was the old Apple Thunderbolt Display.

The reason is that the Macs supply the complete digital video stream via HDMI or DisplayPort to the device and it is up to the device to determine how to use it.

Dec 7, 2021 4:10 AM in response to bobcollard

This was a helpful article, but the brightness and volume function keys still don’t work. Other function keys do, in fact, work as advertised. I suspect this issue has everything to do with the monitor and nothing to do with my keyboard or M1 Mac Mini. I’ll just have to learn to live with it. 

I appreciate your help, BOBCOLLARD… thanks!

My keyboard volume and brightness controls don't work on M1 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.