Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M2Pro Mini loses USB apple keyboard and forgets display settings

I've got a couple of teething issues moving from my old MBP to a new M2Pro Mini.

First, after most restarts, the mini loses the monitor arrangement. I have 2 Sceptre P30s connected using DP cables. I have the monitor on the left designated as the main display but after restarts, the monitor on the right is the main display and its right edge connects to the left edge of the left side monitor. For now I am fixing this after each login with the "displayplacer" utility (via homebrew.) I am trying to figure out how to get the mini to retain the proper monitor arrangement after each reboot.

Second, I have an Apple USB keyboard which I have used reliably for many years. I find that the mini "loses" the keyboard every few minutes and I have to unplug/replug it in. I've tried plugging directly into the mini; plugging into a USB port on an attache Satechi hub and I've even tried using a powered USB3 hub connected directly to the mini. All approaches lose the key board. At the same time, I can plug the keyboard into my MBP (running Ventura with or without the hub) and it has no issues. Any tips on why the mini loses this keyboard but none of my other macs do?

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 10:33 AM

tangentially wrote:

First, after most restarts, the mini loses the monitor arrangement. I have 2 Sceptre P30s connected using DP cables. I have the monitor on the left designated as the main display but after restarts, the monitor on the right is the main display and its right edge connects to the left edge of the left side monitor. For now I am fixing this after each login with the "displayplacer" utility (via homebrew.) I am trying to figure out how to get the mini to retain the proper monitor arrangement after each reboot.

1) If that is the consistent behavior, switch the display around so that (2) is on the left and pitch displayplacer.

2) Disable "Automatically sleep the computer...." and only allow the Displays to turn off.

3) Leave the M2 Pro running 24-7 and only restart for required updates.

Second, I have an Apple USB keyboard which I have used reliably for many years. I find that the mini "loses" the keyboard every few minutes and I have to unplug/replug it in. I've tried plugging directly into the mini; plugging into a USB port on an attache Satechi hub and I've even tried using a powered USB3 hub connected directly to the mini. All approaches lose the key board. At the same time, I can plug the keyboard into my MBP (running Ventura with or without the hub) and it has no issues. Any tips on why the mini loses this keyboard but none of my other macs do?

1) Test your Apple USB keyboard on a USB-C to USB-A adapter plugged into one of the TB/USB-C ports.

2) Test a USB (Generic or PC) keyboard plugged directly into one of the M2 Mac mini's USB-A ports.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2023 10:33 AM in response to tangentially

tangentially wrote:

1) If that is the consistent behavior, switch the display around so that (2) is on the left and pitch displayplacer.

2) Disable "Automatically sleep the computer...." and only allow the Displays to turn off.

3) Leave the M2 Pro running 24-7 and only restart for required updates.

1) Test your Apple USB keyboard on a USB-C to USB-A adapter plugged into one of the TB/USB-C ports.

2) Test a USB (Generic or PC) keyboard plugged directly into one of the M2 Mac mini's USB-A ports.

M2Pro Mini loses USB apple keyboard and forgets display settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.