Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 will not update

My macbook pro is letting me know that the new Catalina 10.15.2 is ready to download (i currently have 10.15.1). I click on update, it downloads it and goes through the whole update process. It then restarts my computer and yet i still only have 10.15.1 once it has restarted, and it still is letting me know that the new update is available! Is there a fix?

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 2:38 PM

HI Banksy91,

You can try downloading the update via SafeMode.

When you boot your Mac, hold down the shift key until you see the login screen. It will safe SafeBoot in Red in the menu bar.

Login and try to apply the update this way via system preferences.

You can also download the update manually from Apple via the macOS Catalina 10.15.2 combo update download page and install it that way.

I hope this helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 2:38 PM in response to Banksy91

HI Banksy91,

You can try downloading the update via SafeMode.

When you boot your Mac, hold down the shift key until you see the login screen. It will safe SafeBoot in Red in the menu bar.

Login and try to apply the update this way via system preferences.

You can also download the update manually from Apple via the macOS Catalina 10.15.2 combo update download page and install it that way.

I hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2019 2:47 PM in response to Banksy91

Yes, I would download the Combo update directly to your Downloads folder/ Desktop wherever your default location is set. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2028?locale=en_US

Then, Boot into Safe boot mode (holding the shift key)

launch the installer from this environment typically proves to be a trouble free installation.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

no draw backs in using this approach.

Dec 16, 2019 11:53 AM in response to leroydouglas

Did this and it did not work Downloaded the combo update mac os 10.15.2 Restarted in safe mode... Got the red letter notice vin the menu bar... Everything starts ok... The red progress bar changes to dull grey...

1/2 hour later... still nothing Activity monitor shows hardly any cpu/memory/disk/network... It ain't doing anything.

Experience shows that if I ignore it for an hour or so, I ned an message that an "ERROR OCCURED"

Dec 16, 2019 2:22 PM in response to Richard from Camas

Hi Richard,

What happens when you launch the installer for the combo update to MacOS 10.15.2?

Are you able to install the update in your normal account or Safe Mode?

What is the exact error you receive as you said you get a message that an error occurred. Is this when you try to launch the update?

The more information we can get the better we can assist you.

I hope this helps.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 will not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.