Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CAN'T UPDATE to macOS Catalina 10.15.3

I have a MacBook Air (13-inch) and currently on Version 10.15.1 with 15.5 GB of free space, I've been trying to update it to macOS Catalina 10.15.3 and a restart is required. My Mac restarts, but never updates and prompts me with the same thing every time.

Any help on what I should do? Any solutions?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 1:17 PM

15.5 GB is insufficient free space. Even with 128 GB, you need a bare minimum of 20 GB free to install it.

Turn off Time Machine once your backup is complete, and then try to do the combo update.

Backup any data that you don't use frequently to two other hard drives and/or flash drives, or use Carbonite or Cloud backup options such as iCloud, OneDrive, or Google Drive.

A general rule of thumb, though not documented anywhere as a manufacturer requirement is to keep at least 15% of your disk space free for swap files and temporary files not to get in the way of installs.

That basically means:

20 GB for 128 GB,

40 GB for 256 GB

80 GB for 512 GB

160 GB for 1 TB.

It will also keep your system running smoothly.

Only upgrade when you have a genuine need to run something that won't run any earlier.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2020 1:17 PM in response to HeyGirl2015

15.5 GB is insufficient free space. Even with 128 GB, you need a bare minimum of 20 GB free to install it.

Turn off Time Machine once your backup is complete, and then try to do the combo update.

Backup any data that you don't use frequently to two other hard drives and/or flash drives, or use Carbonite or Cloud backup options such as iCloud, OneDrive, or Google Drive.

A general rule of thumb, though not documented anywhere as a manufacturer requirement is to keep at least 15% of your disk space free for swap files and temporary files not to get in the way of installs.

That basically means:

20 GB for 128 GB,

40 GB for 256 GB

80 GB for 512 GB

160 GB for 1 TB.

It will also keep your system running smoothly.

Only upgrade when you have a genuine need to run something that won't run any earlier.

CAN'T UPDATE to macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.