Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not able to update to Catalina 10.15.7

I'm stuck in a loop. I was able to download the update. I get prompted to restart so that the update can be applied. I restart but nothing other than a vanilla restart happens. No update is applied. I try again and get the same thing. Now I can't delete a huge file in /Library/Updates that is useless. When I try to click on that file to try to manually install I get the following:

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 5:38 PM

These individual packages will not install when clicked on by you, they are all part of the overall update and need to be run in sequence as part of the overall update. So stop trying.

How much free space does your mac have, always keep around 20GBs free at all times.

Get the Standalone Combo Update from here, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2052?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

once downloaded double-click to install.

When Catalina installs it creates two Macintosh HDs, Macintosh HD -Data which is for the User which is read & write,

and the Macintosh HD which is owned by the System and is Read Only meaning you as the owner cannot add, delete

or modify items within. Therefore you will not be able to delete these updates that are stuck in that Library folder.

The only way to do that would be to connect to another mac and use that mac to delete the files.

Never have your mac set to automatically install updates.

Too often at the moment Apple are releasing updates that contain bugs that can cause problems.

Best to wait a week or so to see if any problems have been found and rectified.

Also you do not want to be in the middle of an important task or project for the mac to

take over and start updating itself which may cause you to lose any changes you have made to your

data.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 5:38 PM in response to aucontraire

These individual packages will not install when clicked on by you, they are all part of the overall update and need to be run in sequence as part of the overall update. So stop trying.

How much free space does your mac have, always keep around 20GBs free at all times.

Get the Standalone Combo Update from here, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2052?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

once downloaded double-click to install.

When Catalina installs it creates two Macintosh HDs, Macintosh HD -Data which is for the User which is read & write,

and the Macintosh HD which is owned by the System and is Read Only meaning you as the owner cannot add, delete

or modify items within. Therefore you will not be able to delete these updates that are stuck in that Library folder.

The only way to do that would be to connect to another mac and use that mac to delete the files.

Never have your mac set to automatically install updates.

Too often at the moment Apple are releasing updates that contain bugs that can cause problems.

Best to wait a week or so to see if any problems have been found and rectified.

Also you do not want to be in the middle of an important task or project for the mac to

take over and start updating itself which may cause you to lose any changes you have made to your

data.

MacBook Pro not able to update to Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.