Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am required to sign in with Apple ID on my iPhone 8 to see mail

The need to fetch a verification code from another device renders mail useless when I am away from my computers with only my phone. Must I turn off two-factor authentication to beat this?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 9:46 AM

Unless you’re signing out of iCloud each time you leave the computer, you should not be prompted for an AppleID 2FA to read emails. And third party emails won’t prompt for a 2FA code since they have nothing to do with Apple nor your AppleID.

The only time a code should be needed with iCloud email is when signing into iCloud. Once signed in, the device should not prompt again for iCloud services like iCloud email (unless you sign the device out of iCloud) as it is then a trusted device.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 9:46 AM in response to Olentzero

Unless you’re signing out of iCloud each time you leave the computer, you should not be prompted for an AppleID 2FA to read emails. And third party emails won’t prompt for a 2FA code since they have nothing to do with Apple nor your AppleID.

The only time a code should be needed with iCloud email is when signing into iCloud. Once signed in, the device should not prompt again for iCloud services like iCloud email (unless you sign the device out of iCloud) as it is then a trusted device.

Dec 12, 2019 9:46 AM in response to Olentzero

See if anything here helps.  .

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication

From the article below updated on 8 Nov 2019. If it has been on longer than 2 weeks, you can't turn it off. 

Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, however, you can unenroll for a period of two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require a higher level of security.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication

Dec 15, 2019 3:38 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric, for your suggestions. Things have finally begun to resolve and fall into place. It's been since July that I've had Apple ID settings error messages. Getting rid of Tunnelblick helped but that wasn't the source.

None of the other ideas here (not just from you--from anyone) have worked.

Hours on chat and on the phone with Apple support did nothing ( although I did later use the unplugging and hard reset they taught me).

It took trial and error with settings. Not only Apple ID, but iCloud, and especially iCloud setup.

Changing from protonmail to iCloud mail didn't do it, and I spent many hours making that conversion.

On the whole, I'd say this experience has been worse than anything I ever encountered in 35 years of using PC compatible & windows machines. Apple is great out of the box, but God help you if anything ever gets screwed up. Their support hasn't been worth spit for me. I paid a lot of money for Apple Care+ and have gotten nothing. I got as far as calling my nearest Apple store (over 100 miles away) to request an appointment. I followed their instructions for doing that and they ignored it. While I was waiting on them, I happened across the solution on my own.

On an unrelated matter, I contacted Xfinity (Comcast) my internet provider, to ask about changing the email address they assigned me, which was 17 digits (useless!). While waiting on hold I came across the solution on about my fourth try. They came back on and told me it was impossible. I did it, so I guess I can do the impossible! All this is to say that tech support in many places has gone totally to ****. If they tell you wrong, to me, that is worse than worthless, it's dangerous.

I am required to sign in with Apple ID on my iPhone 8 to see mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.