Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

store photos in icloud but not on devices

I want to store photos from previous years on icloud but only keep the newest ones on my macbook pro, iphone and ipad because my local storage is too full. I have thousands of photos in icloud and want to keep using icloud to store the oldest ones as well as the new ones I take daily but need to make room on my local devices. Is this possible? Or will I have to remove the oldest photos from icloud and store them somewhere else like dropbox? I have optimized photos on my devices but because of the volume the storage is almost maxed out on my local devices. I have a lot of paid storage available in iCloud and would prefer to keep all of my photos there.

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 11:11 AM

There is no option to do that. iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 11:11 AM in response to bcmegs

There is no option to do that. iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

store photos in icloud but not on devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.