Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you turn on encryption on a Time Machine drive?

I'm not seeing any way to do this in Time Machine preferences or in the Finder. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks very much.

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 3:18 PM

System Preferences>Time Machine>Select Disk and tick the bottom left hand corner box.

NOTE: that you may have to unselect the disk and then reselect it.

I must do that myself at some point. Never bothered, and no idea why

12 replies

Dec 12, 2019 4:29 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

See the following from the previous link:

When you switch locally connected disks (such as an external disk) to encrypted backups, your data is preserved and encrypted.

If you want to change from unencrypted to encrypted backups, you must remove your backup disk and then set it up again. Follow these steps:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Time Machine.
  2. Click Select Disk or Add or Remove Backup Disk (if you have multiple backup disks).
  3. Select your backup disk, then click Remove Disk.
  4. Set up the disk again as an encrypted backup disk.

Dec 12, 2019 4:23 PM in response to Lurkums

The Time Machine drive already has backups on it. This is what I see in System Prefs

If I select the backup disk the encrypt option below it is grayed out. If I select the same drive below, encryption is available. It's perfectly unclear what that means, and why there's a distinction. I don't see how the software could be more poorly designed for this functionality. Does it mean that if I check the lower drive everything on the drive will be lost as the drive is encrypted? Does it mean everything that I backup from now on will be encrypted, and everything previously is unencrypted? Does it mean it will encrypt the drive and its contents and treat it as a new drive though it looks and acts exactly the same and has the same name? What's the point? If I can encrypt the drive, why not let me check the assigned Time Machine drive at the top?

Dec 12, 2019 3:33 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Certainly let the current backup end. Mine is greyed out too, and I think it is because encryption can only be selected at the time of selecting the disk (0.9 probability). I do know it can be applied retrospectively. I'm not sure what then time overhead is of switching it on. I think there is no real overhead once it is deployed

I've struggled to understand why I need to do it. I backup to a NAS and I have no problem in smashing faulty NAS drive. My MBP has encrypted SSD

[edit] No, I will not. See italics. "The best way to keep your backups secure is to encrypt your backup disk. When you switch a Time Capsule or network backup disk from unencrypted to encrypted, your existing backups are erased and new encrypted backup sets are created. When you switch locally connected disks (such as an external disk) to encrypted backups, your data is preserved and encrypted."

Dec 12, 2019 5:59 PM in response to FoxFifth

What does that do? Erase the content and create new backups? Leave the existing content unencrypted and encrypt future backups? Or does it encrypt the drive, the existing content, and continue on from there? Hopefully the last. Not sure why the step of deselecting and reselecting the drive is necessary, but I guess that’s the way it is.

How do you turn on encryption on a Time Machine drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.