Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random “Zoom Enabled” uncontrollable screen nightmare happening on 5th Gen iPad since at least iOS 12, and it’s more prevalent in 13.x

Ok, I normally keep the 3-finger gesture-controlled ability to “Zoom” enabled in my Accessibility settings - for ease of verifying words or other fine details in some web pages, while streaming movies, YouTube how-to videos - or to help me stay focused on a specific screenshot section that I need to add markup to for App development issues and other work related tasks that require a detailed eye for.

... That said, the ZOOM feature is an everyday tool that I rely on to work - ONLY WHEN I NEED IT TO - by invoking it with the 3-finger gestures that I’m well aware of how to use.

The issue has been that on very random and oft times back-to-back occurrences, the Zoom function enabled on its own after popping a brief message in the normal screen size stating, “Zoom Enabled” … (it’s a rather small text block in the center of the screen that lasts about 2 seconds max) … coinciding with a full screen Zoom typically at the last zoom level I had legitimately used via gesture control.

The “Nightmares” I’m hanging with “this” particular (unsolicited) Zoom, is that it’s almost ALWAYS accompanied by an out of sync touch screen (gesture) functionality - which I’m starting to believe is because the capacitive touch functions are NOT scaling to match the increased screen size - in other words - my strong belief is that ONLY THE VISUAL ELEMENT OF THE “ZOOM” feature is occurring during this glitch, and that the TOUCH/GESTURE scaling to sync our finger taps to a zoomed button or control menu area of the zoomed screen, end up being well outside the visual elements that I’m trying to control in an effort to disable the function via “Settings > Accessibility” - since I’ve come to realize from 95%+ of these occurrences that I’ll have NO GESTURE CONTROL functionality (for ANYTHING) once this bug occurs.

SOMETIMES I find that shutting my screen off with the “standby button” on the right side of my XR - aka the (RIGHT) “SIDE BUTTON” - can apparently “force?” the touch controller to try and re-synch with the zoomed screen elements. Though, as is typically the case with most bugs, there’s rarely a consistent pattern to how the entire experience will present itself - and in the end, as I am dealing with at this very moment, I’M ABSOLUTELY STUCK WITHOUT ANY ABILITY TO DISABLE ZOOM via the Settings area, NOR via the touch gestures that I’m typically able to use for controlling any “legitimate” (solicited) Zoom functionality.

At this point, UNTIL ZOOM IS FIXED from allowing this nightmare of a partially functioning “auto-zoom” glitch to take over my iPad (and BTW, this issue never occurs if I’ve left the feature “disabled” in Accessibility settings - which also renders it USELESS when I do need it) ... I’ll be forced to keep it disable and lose a valuable function I’ve grown accustomed to with my iPad … that is of course IF I CAN FIND A WAY TO COMPLETELY RESET MY IPAD to revert this function back to its disabled state.

iPad 5th Gen, issue occurs randomly ONLY IF: 1) the Zoom feature is ENABLED in settings, and 2) the screen is NOT ALREADY ZOOMED at any level … eg. the display is left at 0% Zoom while using the iPad for normal tasks.

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 4:41 PM

Hello,

Try updating to iPadOS 13.3 to see if it resolves your problem.

Similar questions

1 reply

Random “Zoom Enabled” uncontrollable screen nightmare happening on 5th Gen iPad since at least iOS 12, and it’s more prevalent in 13.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.