Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with the swipe up function- ipad air 4th gen

I’m having trouble with the swipe up function (that replaces the home button) on iPad Air 4th gen. Every time I try to use the swipe up function it takes at least 3, but more like 5-7 tries to get it to work. It's frustrating for normal use, but especially frustrating to me because I often use an art app and all those extra swipes draw lines on my work and I have to undo them all, then zoom way out so the working field is far away from that tricky bottom bar and try again (otherwise I'll have to open it back up and fix the erroneous lines by hand because the undo button doesn't work after minimizing the app >:( ). Also whenever I do it on a screen with the keyboard, it types a bunch of letters I didn’t intend. Arg! I really wish there was a dang home button but since that isn't really an option, I hope you all have some technical advice for using it more easily. Maybe settings can be adjusted that I don’t know about or something?

If not, I’ll want to actually contact apple support and ask them to strongly consider making a software update to the iPad Air (4th gen) to improve the ease with which the swipe up function works. Can anyone tell me the most efficient/effective way for submitting this kind of feedback to apple?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 10:14 AM

The following works for me. I place my finger at the very bottom of the screen (half off of the iPad and half in the black area that surrounds the screen) and slowly move up and release.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 15, 2022 11:47 AM in response to LexaproLo

LexaproLo wrote:

I am having this same issue and it is wildly frustrating. I can't find information on it anywhere and I don't know how to fix it as I have looked around in the accessibility settings on the iPad and have found nothing that works. I would really love a solution for this!

If my previous reply above didn't help then you may want to contact Apple Support. There is a Get Support link at the top right of this page.

Help with the swipe up function- ipad air 4th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.