Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off screen lock

After running some miscellaneous update, my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) now requires me to enter my password when I wake the computer up after the screen saver starts. I cannot turn this off in the Security & Privacy preferences panel - I unlock the panel, uncheck "Require password after sleep or screen saver begins," I get a dialog box asking, "Are you sure you want to turn off screen lock?", I click "Turn Off Screen Lock", and it goes back to the panel showing the box checked again. I also can't change the delay for enabling the screen lock - whichever duration I choose, it goes back to Immediate.

Any thoughts out there?

Tom

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 7:24 PM

in the Security & Privacy preferences panel - I unlock the panel,
uncheck "Require password after sleep or screen saver begins,"

Verify under the Advance option log out is not checked as well.

You can Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 7:24 PM in response to Thomas R. Doolittle

in the Security & Privacy preferences panel - I unlock the panel,
uncheck "Require password after sleep or screen saver begins,"

Verify under the Advance option log out is not checked as well.

You can Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Can't turn off screen lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.