Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Apple Watch Without phone, possible?

I am thinking of getting my kids a cellular enabled Apple Watch. I do not want them to have a phone. I just want them to have the watch with cellular so that They can

• call

is this possible or do I need to get them a phone to just for the setup process?

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 1:52 AM

You need to get a phone,firstly to setup and pair the watch and secondly the phone is needed so the watch can communicate with it.you make phone calls and texts because the watch uses an esim which very simply means that the cellular side of the watch becomes a clone of the phone it's paired to by using the same number of the phone.So you see it would be impossible to use a watch without a phone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2019 1:52 AM in response to Ryanastark

You need to get a phone,firstly to setup and pair the watch and secondly the phone is needed so the watch can communicate with it.you make phone calls and texts because the watch uses an esim which very simply means that the cellular side of the watch becomes a clone of the phone it's paired to by using the same number of the phone.So you see it would be impossible to use a watch without a phone.

Dec 13, 2019 5:37 AM in response to Ryanastark

The Apple Watch is an iPhone accessory. The Cellular model shares the iPhone's phone number. The cellular providers that support the Apple Watch add the cellular Apple Watch to your iPhone plan and charge you a fee every month (U.S. carriers charge $10 per month extra on your iPhone bill).

And since it is paired with the iPhone and shares the iPhones phone number, the Apple Watch has access to all the iPhone's phone calls, messages, contacts, email, etc...

Cellular Apple Watch Without phone, possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.