Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pair an Apple Watch (SE) with Cellular to a iPhone that only uses WiFi (no cellular - no plan)

As the title implies, is it possible to set up an Apple Watch (for a kid) using a iPhone that doesn't have a phone number or service plan?

We tried the family member set up and it works fine that way, but there are some features that we'd like to enable that say a phone is required. Certian Apps (strava as an example), Or viewing tracked maps from workouts don't work as they do for myself with a Iphone & Apple watch paired together as the primary user.

Posted on May 25, 2021 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 8:28 AM

It won't work like that.

The watch replicates the paired iPhone's service and uses it for calls and messages. It does not work on its own.

If you set up the watch using Family Setup, then it can use the cellular service on its own, but it needs to be setup with a functional iPhones and will of course lose some features when in Family Setup. You cannot have it both ways no.

In short, no there is no way to use a cellular Apple Watch without a paired iPhone and be able to use all its features. They are not meant for independent usage like that.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 8:28 AM in response to thestephenweinberg

It won't work like that.

The watch replicates the paired iPhone's service and uses it for calls and messages. It does not work on its own.

If you set up the watch using Family Setup, then it can use the cellular service on its own, but it needs to be setup with a functional iPhones and will of course lose some features when in Family Setup. You cannot have it both ways no.

In short, no there is no way to use a cellular Apple Watch without a paired iPhone and be able to use all its features. They are not meant for independent usage like that.

May 25, 2021 7:50 AM in response to thestephenweinberg

I use an Apple watch 6 with an iphone xr that doesn't have a sim card and everything works perfectly,the only occasion I need to use wifi is when I update the watch.

You cannot make calls or send texts but if you're fine with that everything else works just fine.

Pair an Apple Watch (SE) with Cellular to a iPhone that only uses WiFi (no cellular - no plan)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.