Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After you set up the watch with cellular from the family plan... can the watch be paired with an old iPhone with wifi?

My daughter has an old iPhone with wifi but no cellular. We got her an Apple Watch with cellular add on capabilities, to add her to our plan for $10/month... however Apple's directions say to pair the watch with one of the adult's phones in order to activate cellular. I'm wondering once that's done, if we can then pair the watch with the "bricked" wifi phone so that the phone apps can interact with the watch. NOT to give her phone cellular. Just to connect the phone (fitness app, imessage, Spotify, etc).... is this possible.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 8:18 PM

I doubt it - in fact, I'm almost sure it won't work. See the 'Before you start' section in:

Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support

"Your iPhone and Apple Watch must use the same carrier, and you must be within your carrier's network when you set up cellular on your watch."

5 replies

After you set up the watch with cellular from the family plan... can the watch be paired with an old iPhone with wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.