Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Split my Fusion Hard Drive

I'm using the 5k iMac and just tried to run bootcamp. The process seemed fine until I got an error that it couldn't partition the drive, and to run First Aid from Disk Utility. I ran First Aid and result was that there's nothing wrong with the drive. But it shows me two Macintosh HDs. One is regular Macintosh HD, the other is Macintosh HD - Data. In Disk Utility, the former has an image of the Finder, while the later has the home directory icon.

My drive is formatted APFS w/ FileVault turned on. If anybody has any advise on a fix that doesn't involve resetFusion and wiping the drive I'd be grateful for the help! In the mean time I'm going to try and run First Aid through Recovery Mode.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 2:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 6:05 AM

alisheikhpour wrote:

I'm using the 5k iMac and just tried to run bootcamp. The process seemed fine until I got an error that it couldn't partition the drive, and to run First Aid from Disk Utility. I ran First Aid and result was that there's nothing wrong with the drive.

First Aid may not catch all issues with APFS.

But it shows me two Macintosh HDs. One is regular Macintosh HD, the other is Macintosh HD - Data. In Disk Utility, the former has an image of the Finder, while the later has the home directory icon.

Assuming you are on macOS Catalina, see About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support for reference.

My drive is formatted APFS w/ FileVault turned on. If anybody has any advise on a fix that doesn't involve resetFusion and wiping the drive I'd be grateful for the help! In the mean time I'm going to try and run First Aid through Recovery Mode.

You may also need to run fsck_apfs in Single-User Mode. I also recommend a Time Machine backup.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2019 6:05 AM in response to alisheikhpour

alisheikhpour wrote:

I'm using the 5k iMac and just tried to run bootcamp. The process seemed fine until I got an error that it couldn't partition the drive, and to run First Aid from Disk Utility. I ran First Aid and result was that there's nothing wrong with the drive.

First Aid may not catch all issues with APFS.

But it shows me two Macintosh HDs. One is regular Macintosh HD, the other is Macintosh HD - Data. In Disk Utility, the former has an image of the Finder, while the later has the home directory icon.

Assuming you are on macOS Catalina, see About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support for reference.

You may also need to run fsck_apfs in Single-User Mode. I also recommend a Time Machine backup.

Bootcamp Split my Fusion Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.