Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my 3rd party UK keyboard stuck in US layout on iPad?

I bought a Logitech K380 in a UK layout but even with all possible settings on my iPad set to English (UK) or British English, it always types in a US layout. I went to Settings>General>Hardware Keyboard to test German and then Dvorak where it seems to work as expected so why does my ‘British’ setting still flip the @ and “?

I’m on iOS 13.3

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 1:52 PM

Because its a Mac convention and has been for twenty plus years.

Use a third party PC keyboard and you have differing keys notable a Windows key and yes the @/? Switch.

Been using both Mac and PC daily since the 90s and its really just muscle memory

Personally prefer the @ on the 2 key myself just seem better placed with shift combination using it countless times a day

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2019 1:52 PM in response to Meiji03

Because its a Mac convention and has been for twenty plus years.

Use a third party PC keyboard and you have differing keys notable a Windows key and yes the @/? Switch.

Been using both Mac and PC daily since the 90s and its really just muscle memory

Personally prefer the @ on the 2 key myself just seem better placed with shift combination using it countless times a day

Dec 13, 2019 4:09 PM in response to Meiji03

Meiji03 wrote:

why does my ‘British’ setting still flip the @ and “?

To have " at shift 2, you would need to set Hardware Keyboard (by tapping over at the right edge) to British PC (instead of Automatic or British).

I have to check whether this exists in iOS 13 or not. If not, the place to ask Apple to add it is

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 13, 2019 1:41 PM in response to QuickPost

Yes. I’ve also made it forget the keyboard, shut down both devices for 5 minutes then turned them back on.

I think I’m confused about the layouts Apple offers vs what’s printed on the keys of my keyboard.

I’m used to UK keyboards having the “ printed on the 2 key in the number row but I checked the store page for Apple’s Magic Keyboard and the ‘UK version’ still has it in the American style. Frustrating.

Is there a way to change individual keys? And why is Apple’s “British” keyboard different from an actual UK keyboard?

Dec 13, 2019 2:04 PM in response to Keith Doherty3

Then, as someone who was never a Mac user, I can’t help having the ‘wrong’ muscle memory. Switching ? For @ is more forgivable imo if I’m thinking of the same layout as you because they’re above and below each other.

A lot of other punctuation marks that I need are also switched around to opposite ends of the keyboard and I’m not happy at the news that I’ll just have to ‘adjust’ and/or buy a Magic Keyboard to see them printed in their Apple places but ...I guess this solves my question.

Why is my 3rd party UK keyboard stuck in US layout on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.